I wrote this on 29th October and am only getting to finish it now, so it contains a bit of what I felt in the month and a bit of what I'm feeling now.
LIFE
October was a busy month. All kinds of outings dominated. Birthday parties, family catch ups, local events, school stuff and collecting those darned Woolies Aussie Animal cards (if you have a spare number 27 contact me!). I forced myself to have at home (which are essentially work) days to keep the balance and maintain a happy home.
Kevin was away for 3 days or more each week for the last three weeks of the month. Like I said, a busy month!
Struggling immensely with Brian. Attitude, communication, behaviour. Knowing a child's issues always start with the parents so looking at myself and trying to do and be better. Trying to carve out some time to sit down with some parent books to read and learn!
Fitting Simon's naps into the day (because of school pick up) is becoming a struggle. We have had lots of no nap days, lots of 10 minute only naps and lots of struggles. He's still super tired and needs a rest but is at the 'won't admit it' stage.
Brian really got into making his own plans this month and planned out a few weekends for us, including a family games night. I've let him continue to plan us with infinite detail, tomorrow we are spending the day from 6am til lunchtime (which he thinks includes a sleep) outside. Basically camping in the backyard all day. I'm rolling with it and took the opportunity to clean the patio. Yes Dad, you read that right!
HOME
Feeling the need to spring clean and doing little bits here and there. I love it when our home is clean and tidy but it's a battle to keep it there. I like to do something and be done with it.
We spent a good chunk of this month with no air con as it burnt out. It was a good opportunity to open everything up and get some breeze coming through. I learnt that I love the indoor/outdoor mix but hate feeling like I'm living with my neighbours. I struggled alot with hearing them and knowing they could hear us. And I most certainly can't sleep with the blinds open. I also found on those hot days that it was hard to do things. I've always loved that about being able to turn on the air con, your body kicks back into gear! The air con was a fairly quick and easy fix, only because we use good people and not because it was a common simple error. It was major and crazy expensive. We are fixed and serviced and good for 2 years and I booked and dealt with it myself. Yay me!
WEATHER
We are still getting a mix of occasional rainy days, lovely outdoor days and would it be OK to eat a 3kg bag of ice days. A couple of times this month I have asked myself how I can survive the summer when I can't even survive a spring day.
HEALTH
We are good. Finally. But next time you see a child with a terrible nose and think 'why on Earth do the parents not clean it?', know that the parents do. So often that as soon as the child sees a tissue they run away screaming. Simon and I right now!
WEARING
Shorts, t-shirts, sandals, suncream and ponytails. Throwing in a few singlets and knowing that pulling off that look on an everyday basis is the place to be.
Replacing the velcro on Brian's school shoes. Only a few weeks left but he needs to be able to fasten his shoes properly. Finally purchased sandals for Simon. What a task that was! David Jones is my usual kid shoe haunt and they had no Clarks sandals for Simon's age in yet. The poor child can now finally ditch socks for the remainder of the year.
MEALS
Yes! We are finally at that season where I'm beginning to get back into meal planning and I'm loving it. I feel like I'm cooking more. Hello real meals. Light bulb and then let down moment: real spring/summer meals equal easier and less cooking, maybe that's why I feel I'm doing better. Ha! Pairing sides with mains. Knowing that the watermelon, orange and feta salad (via Martha Stewart) I pinned will make a real and filling main meal shortly.
DRINK
Too many creamy frappe drinks being consumed! Loving having a couple of personal bottles of water in the fridge to gulp during the day. This is keeping me going right now.
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
Feeling the urge to spend lots of time at the fruit and vege markets buying fresh produce (add: kid free and that's a dream made in heaven!). Happy to make the connection that this time of year and the Rocklea Markets are becoming my tradition.
Melon season is here. We just finished what will probably be our last punnet of strawberries. Indulging in blueberries, continuing my 'ignore the berry price' tradition of 2013 and knowing the 'ignore the mango price' tradition of 2013 is coming! Cucumbers, pumpkin, asparagus, bananas all in. Pomegranates about, I see a salad coming on. Tomatoes cheaper. Eating sweet potato, and our first ever lot of kale. Pretty happy to live in this section right now.
HALLOWEEN
We had our biggest amount of trick or treaters ever. Some even gave us treats! The kids were pretty into opening the door and we would have joined in with knocking on one or two doors if we didn't already have other plans that night.
Pretty sure the supplies in the stores are getting bigger and broader each year.
Adding CHRISTMAS to the list from now til the end of the year:
CHRISTMAS
I'm pretty much at panic stations. I like to plan ahead so I'm ready and organised for December but with the speed that these days, weeks and months are passing me by I know I'll end the year behind. Need to turn that thinking around!
Lots of deliberating, researching, wishing and hoping going on for the kids gifts. I just need to twist my hubby's arm and I know what to get them. Winning the lotto wouldn't go astray either. Not mountains of stuff, but one big expensive gift. Doing my best to see what they need and focus on that but I do feel like my view of our world right now might be through blurry rose-coloured glasses. I'm in such a need of a break that I'm not sure my thinking is as logical as I think it is!
The kids and I have enjoyed watching all the Christmas magic come out into the stores. Simon says "Christmas has already started" each time we walk into a store. I've pretty much been everywhere to check things out, mostly in my mission to find a decent boys Christmas t-shirt in size 5. And then I'll buy a size 6 and 7 too! Santa rocks with guitar pictures and skulls, etc. are just not my cup of tea. OshKosh USA you need to ship here because ours has no Christmas.
In all busy, excited, loving the freshness that's upon us and doing my best to juggle things.




No comments:
Post a Comment