I might just have developed a new love affair with strawberries this year. Had you asked me way back at the beginning of June if strawberries were available and affordable in winter I would have said "No way!". I was wrong. I'm still very new to this 'paying attention' thing but a little research shows that strawberries are available year round here. And while I'm still tracking this stuff, right now seems to be their most delicious and affordable time in Queensland. Research again, Queensland provides the best climate for Australia's winter crop of strawberries. And we, up here must be reaping the benefits.
Number 10 on my Winter Manifesto was to go strawberry picking, finally. And in June I made a little promise to myself to buy and enjoy strawberries and not require therapy over their cost. Check and check.
We went strawberry picking on 17th August. It was no mean feat bundling both boys up and driving with them for an hour north all by myself, pretending I knew where I was going. We did it and it was fantastic. Strawberry Fields was our destination. We arrived just after 9:30am which turned out to be the perfect time, before it got busy. First of all we headed over to pick our strawberries. We filled a tub about 3/4 full. Prices on the day were $12/kg.
After we were done we paid and picked up three giant chocolate covered strawberries on a stick. Divine!
The kids had a good play on the equipment and on the hay bales. Simon tried to take a small tractor tyre off a much larger (maybe 7 yrs old) child. Pretty sure that was his idea of GOLD! We then had an early lunch containing a little bit of all the good things (sandwiches, strawberry milkshake, strawberry frappe and strawberry ice cream - all shared) before heading back home.
I was a little down that the day was short but Brian was keen to get back in the car and play with his clipboard (Mummy packs to keep the kids quiet, and maybe this one was a little too well done) and Simon was well and truly ready for his nap. Next time I would leave home earlier, pick a heap of strawberries (2 full punnets [they are large] would be best), have a quick morning tea (because it's all yummy) and then head to Caloundra for more fun and lunch before coming home.
On the purchasing strawberries from the supermarket front, I have certainly been doing that. We have them in the fridge almost all the time. They are super yummy. But my biggest discovery is crisp dark chocolate and fresh strawberries. Last year I discovered the joys of salt and caramel together, this year it's dark chocolate and strawberries. Matches made in heaven.
Strawberries this year really have made for the beginnings of a new tradition around here. And oh how I love annual traditions. Each winter I will now look forward to more than my fill of strawberries, strawberry picking with the family and chocolate covered strawberry treats. We have Christmas in summer, now we have strawberries in winter. Yay!








Just had a couple of magnificant strawberries from my big pot of them in the back yard.
ReplyDeleteDad
I have the best memories as a child going strawberry picking!
ReplyDelete