Monday, 2 September 2013

Farewell August

I'm mentally still mid-month so this post is coming way too fast for me and I''m not quite sure I'm ready for the end of winter.
Lots of long drives this month.  Immensely loved the
feeling of the sun from inside the car and the open road feeling. 
HEALTH
Coming to you today after 7 days of a stomach flu virus.  Weakness, feeling not quite right and a queasy tummy last Monday turned into all the gross illness stuff the following day.  And then the week full of little eating, nausea, lethargy and a cough.  This is fast turning into my least loved topic in the monthly round up.  Certainly sick too often, but I was warned that your child's first year of school brings all this stuff out, for everyone.

Pretty sure we were mostly ok otherwise this month.  Couple of high temps for the kids, but mostly good. Noses still driving us all nuts!

Specialist appointment for Brian (about his legs), which we had been waiting MONTHS for revealed all ok. Welcomed relief.

WEATHER
Mother Nature is mixing it up.  One thing I never realised (hello paying attention to the seasons) is that Ekka time is the signal that the winds are coming.  And in true form they arrived on time, mid-month.  The weather was still warm but the winds were kinda crazy.  Crazy, 'why did I wear my hair out today', kinda crazy.

Otherwise it feels like the temp is changing more between the morning, day and evening.  I'm not the only one being caught out having to change outfits partway through the day.

WEARING
Wearing whatever and getting it wrong most days.  For Brian I like to hedge my bets and do shorts and a jumper, but mostly it's pants and t-shirt.  He does still wear his jumper on most days, but it's in his bag at the end of the day.  I'm starting to worry what I'm going to do for shirts in the summer, I have some nice sleeveless shirts which work well with cardigans in the winter.  My lovely arms don't work so well with the lack of sleeves in the summer.  Secretly Pinning arm exercises and kind of enjoying the kids laughing at me and joining in as I try out this new to me stuff.

Layering less.  The kids are no longer wearing singlets under shirts.  Looking forward to open shoes, but finding that all the replacement shoes I needed last season are fairly urgent now.
Family Yatala Pie.  Making trips to the Gold Coast
not complete until we stop here.  Love easy.
MEALS
I don't feel like I'm doing well on this front.  Illness last week meant a horrible grocery shop and no meal plan ideas because the thought of food made me feel sick.  I'm also struggling with Simon.  He is a huge fussy (texture wise) eater and I find myself struggling with always cooking (and wanting to cook) meals that he will like.  Mush isn't always fun.  But giving the boy some credit he did really well this month eating roast pork.  And he still LOVES peas.  Overall my effort in the kitchen has been less, much less than I want it to be as I've prioritised other things, or at least it feels that way.  I never really did make those nice, rich wintery casseroles I was hoping to.

One thing I have been doing is cooking up a few things to go in with Brian's lunch.  Biscuits, muffins, rice and vegetable slice.  My aim is to make something along these lines for dinner (say, vegie filled sausage rolls) and at the same time make some lunchbox sized ones.  Works great for both kids.  I often wonder how we would eat if budget wasn't in existence.  And I love to track our eating changes over time.  Once, long ago jars were a staple, now I'm horrified by them.
Love that outside is do-able in the
winter here.  Picnic awesomeness.
DRINK
I feel the 'one must have an iced drink in hand at all times' feeling that I have all summer coming.  If we didn't have kids I'd be buying one of those bench top slushie makers.  I'm not because we only let the kids drink water and milk.  As a treat Brian can have real juice.  None of those make for great slushies!

Feeling the coffee and tea drinks fading.  Kevin and I had Max Brenner hot chocolates the other night.  I think he liked them!  We had Italian Thick Hot Chocolates (mine in white, his in milk) and it was like drinking melted chocolate, almost as thick as the real thing.  Amazing!

Kevin is still on a major coffee kick (hello 7 day weeks, hello uni, hello crazy work).  I'm not quite sure how this will change over the warmer months, but I suspect it might not end until his uni is submitted!

FRUIT & VEGETABLES
Living the strawberry revolution.  My plan this season was to ignore the price that I always view as too much and just buy and enjoy them.  We have and we are.  Last week's were only $1.25 a punnet (although the sign said 2 for $4), that is by far the cheapest I have seen.  Bananas about $3/kg.  Oranges are cheap too.  Apples maybe a little higher and they are bringing in stone fruits but they are crazy expensive.  I thought we were done with those.  Grapes in stores too but they are high and not Aussie grown.

Vegies - pumpkin is cheap.  Good zucchinis last week, always great to know when they are good because there are so many recipes I need them for!  We are not using many potatoes.  I feel like celery has been cheaper, but not quite sure on that one.  Shallots vary, but affordable.

HOME
*Hold my breath* ants in the kitchen are gone, for over a week now.  Hoping this is a seasonal change meaning they are really gone, or maybe I finally killed them off.

Struggling a little with the warmth of our doona.  Kevin and my body temps and sleeping temp wants are so different.  We are switching between our room and the spare room because of my snoring.  (Highly embarassing, but if I don't blog truth then why am I here).  Kevin politely told me the other day that it could also be him not sleeping as well at night and therefore hearing me more.  Very kind.

Wanting to, needing to spring clean.  The correct season is here.  Feeling it will be a good prep for Christmas approaching.
Love that our house allows for this kind of fun.
Love that I love having a train set going around the couch.
#mama
LIFE
Life wasn't so busy this month and we needed that.  Having some weekends free meant enjoying them at home.  And really enjoying them at home instead of just lazing and regretting it.  We had a good mix of doing things and lazing two weekends ago.  Kevin spent the weekend at home, he shouldn't have (uni was calling), but I hope in the long run it did him well.  He rested, played games and saw the kids!

We also enjoyed having my parent's over for a Friday movie night.  So many friends do the Friday night pizza and movie thing.  Some buy it out, some make it.  I think we need to do this more often and bring back our movie nights.  Maybe this is where I need to make ahead and freeze some bases to make it an 'easy' night.  We started the movie about 4pm and had dinner afterwards.  It worked well for the boys.  They are early to bed so a later movie would not work.  Fridays we are buggered so tuning off was nice.

Hoping to do a little general winter round up at some point, particularly as it wasn't as I had expected it to be.  As I mentioned above I'm really not quite ready to change seasons, but spring is here nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment