We started the day with Brian waking and then waking everyone else so he could see "the big present he expected to be on the kitchen table waiting for him". He opened presents, including the bike, the one he was present for during numerous searches, testings and the final purchase, but not once did he say he was getting it for his birthday and not once did he actually expect it. When he pulled off the old doona cover and tinsel I used to "wrap" it he graciously thanked us while saying something like "I thought I was getting a bike". He was true Brian in all his gifts and cards and messages he received today. When the first card rolled in earlier this week he instantly said he "should write a thank you card to thank Gill and Deirdre for the card and money". One thing I have noted this year is that when I read the card out he moves himself to be next to me instead of opposite. He really wants to be there and present in the reading and I'm sure following along. He can read some parts of the cards and I think for him, that is a gift in itself.
Brian got an extra surprise this morning. The device affectionately known as "the white game" (Nintendo DS), came up with something new today. Brian thanked it over and over again for knowing it was his birthday. Priceless.
Later in the morning (although not so later, I was still in my jammies), my parents arrived. Brian opened his gifts from them (super hero sticker books and my parent's old digital camera, which is like Brian gold!!, and Mummy gold [I love thoughtful, useful, purposeful second hand gifts better than first hand ones]), we had treasure cupcakes complete with finding buried treasure under our chairs. And then we headed off on the maiden bike ride to see the ducks. All the while Simon saying something similar to "I riding bike". Brian did much better than I expected. I didn't expect for my heart to stop completely as my child rode unaided for what I thought was too fast on a concrete footpath. No one prepared me for that bit! We came home, had more chats and photos and cuddles and then goodbyes. The 3 of us had lunch and then the boys went to bed. I have spent the last good while responding to texts, emails and Facebook messages on Brian's behalf.
This cake is half dismantled. They looked better, I promise.
This evening we will have a feast dinner (any meal Jamie Oliver style, strewn over the table for all to share), as per request, and relight the candle for more treasure cupcakes, this time with Daddy. And there will be a re-enactment of the buried treasure under the chairs, but don't tell Daddy as it's a secret.
Happy that today is how Brian asked. Happy that it's simple. Happy that the helmet I hated is now the helmet I love (light, practical, good quality, visible). Happy that treasure cupcakes are so simply perfect and easy. Happy to learn mini cupcakes fit my children's bill better than larger ones and/or a cake (100% about the icing and "treasure"). Happy that cupcakes allow for a double lighting of candle and cake sharing as if it was the first time. Happy that a boy wants a feast, asks for a salad and doesn't care about the content. Smiling a lot.
Happy 5th Birthday To You Brian!!

Sounds like a perfect Birthday day for Brian.
ReplyDeleteGlad you all enjoyed it.
Love Kerri
When we arrived at the "birthday boy's" house Brian opened the door and said "are you going to say happy birthday to some one special today"? "That would be me" he said. Then he told us all about when he logged on to his "white game" and it knew it was his birthday and that he was now 5. We were happy to hear his exciting news but had to remind Brian to open the wire door and asked if we could come inside!
ReplyDeleteLove Pop & Nanny
Hahahahaha love it :)
ReplyDelete