HEALTH
![]() |
| How Brian spent my Brother's birthday party. Sick! |
Kids and Kevin all healthy now. Wow. July is looking good!
MEALS
![]() |
| Lamb meatball, egg and spicy tomato tagine. Yum! |
I have had to completely reword this next paragraph. I thought we were doing well on the groceries. I have been spending less at the shops on food because I already have things to draw on at home. I have spent a packet load on 'treasure' (read lollies) for someone's cupcakes. I always WAY over cater on the cake decoration because I don't know what I'll need until that second I'm putting it together, which is late the night before or in this case a few minutes before serving. Our grocery month begins on the 15th and last grocery month we were over. There was lots of buying expensive pre-done foods [roast chicken] to compensate, I needed the break. This month we are looking considerably better seeing as that fortune I spent on lollies is really 'birthday expenses' or we can just eat chocolate coins for dinner. Having lots to draw upon to create a meal saves and not meal planning correctly is making me work better with less. No meal planning has translated into short and/or no shopping lists when I get groceries. I feel it's been working, I skip the middle aisles because I'm not cooking and buy less because I'm too buggered for anything but real essentials and the odd Peppermint Crisp bar. = )
Eating out cravings are, for both Kevin and I drawing to more winter meals. We had Moroccan tagines for Kevin's birthday celebration and yesterday we headed to Wagamama for something big and comforting. A salad, my choice didn't exactly scream winter but leaving with that full belly did. Earlier in the month (and late May) my cravings were for Mexican (particularly salad bowls) and mocktails. Thrilled to discover an awesome (simple) Mexican place near us. I had a meal that was fresh, light, healthy and yummy. It made me so happy. Are we eating out more this month?
Discovery that my kids love to eat simple right now and it's a blessing. They have been loving scrambled eggs and toast. I slip cheese and spinach into the egg mix for a little more nutrition. Pumpkin soup (I have a 4 ingredient recipe) was a big hit. Simon had his in a cup and I refilled that cup several times in what felt like 3 seconds! Several days later I may have noticed a few pumpkin coloured spots on the wall from when he found out what happens when you dip your hand in the soup and then shake it.
Needing to roast those marshmallows in my pantry! Wishing Max Brenner Australia (or someone) would sell marshmallow roasters here.
DRINK
![]() |
| No drive-thru Starbucks here. This is the best I can do. #naughty |
Tea is happening often. Hot chocolates rarely. Still enjoying/wanting frappes for some odd reason.
FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
Freezer vegies in, anything requiring much prep is out. Buying strawberries as a little manifesto to myself to buy and enjoy them and not need therapy over the cost. Loving oranges, green apples and bananas. Cauliflowers are cheap, as are shallots. Tomatoes seem cheaper. Nothing else has made it on my radar.
WEARING
![]() |
| Layers earlier in the month. #lovehowheplays |
3 layers going out isn't uncommon. I'm loving my new cardigan but wearing it around the house more than I should. I seriously need a wardrobe update. Loving using layers for myself too as I feel lighter. It's easier to move about and do things in layers than it is all bulked up.
Wearing shoes inside the house to feel warmer.
HOME
![]() |
| Winter is Daddy snuggles, darkness and rest. |
Feeling warm some days, others feel like someone needs to turn the air con off.
WEATHER
Still rain about, here, there, sometimes, often. Play dates are turning to indoor ones, mostly at someone's house. Not sure why we can't do indoor play spaces in the suburbs well.
The darkness is starting to worry me. I'm starting a phone photography course today with summer challenges and wondering how I'm going to get any light to take even a winter shot! Also we aren't setting alarms. My body just can't get up until it's light. The kids are sleeping til 6:30am or later, which is pure heaven, no more 5-5:30am rises. Late starts are a big deal during school terms. Right now school is out so it's OK, but soon I'm going to have to sharpen up.
Grateful that most times winter allows us to be outside more comfortably.
You might know the point of these posts is to share about the month that was and how the weather/season effects us. What to appreciate and what to improve on. Next year I hope to be looking back on these and not getting as many surprises as I seem to each year. That is why I'm adding two new headings for this month, they are so very relevant to June for us.
BIRTHDAYS
Keeping it simple worked for us. In saying that, it's still busy. Buy and wrap ahead. Seriously need to question making a cake for the kids each year vs buying. Bought 6 little cupcakes for Kevin, pricey but it was all we needed. Also need to question my philosophy on 'making a cake that represents what they are most into'. It's harder work than it needs to be. Brian asked for treasure cupcakes and they were simple and easy, although the difficult recipe I used tasted no better than my simple recipe on the second day. Mini cupcakes worked as the kids mostly just want icing and I was getting fed up with them leaving almost all of Simon's bigger cupcakes.
A special dinner wasn't a must. Brian wanted a feast but didn't care about the content. A feast for him is a bunch of plates in the middle of the table in which to serve himself from. And wow did he eat a lot of salad!
Kevin's treat was a special packed lunchbox. Sushi and a cupcake bought the day before. Then a half day doing an activity with the family, as family time is the best gift for him right now. Activity was (indoor heated) swimming. Then out to lunch, just the 4 of us. Awesome.
Friend's birthdays, buying gifts as soon as invites came in worked super well. Asking parent's for gift ideas worked too and ended up being more thoughtful than spending days scouring the shops for the perfect thing!
One day to celebrate all 3 boys with the family, I think is going to work best. In all, simple wins because it allows time and fun to happen. Focus on what they will really remember and make it special.
TOY SALES
![]() |
| McQueen page love. |
Obviously for Simon we can't use these sales. To use them for Brian is difficult as last minute is not fun. Using them for friend's birthdays works well and is almost a necessity. Getting something that was $20 before the sale and is now under $15 does look so nice. Of course it doesn't matter really, but savings are better used than not!
Stores are nuts and stock is, not in, low and messy from one to a couple of days into the sale. It's just plain crazy all round. I still can't plan Christmas during these sales. I feel that the kids will want and need something different by then. I just can't see that far out.






No comments:
Post a Comment