Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Menu Planning | By A 3.5 Year Old

Uninspired for menu planning ideas I turned to Brian (my 3.5 year old) and asked him what he wanted for dinner.  The answer went something like "a leaf, a lollipop, a piece of cherry pie, a sausage on a stick".  He took his mini version of The Hungry Caterpillar to kindy for show and tell a few days earlier.  Could you tell?

I really had no inspiration, so I indulged him.  It was a Friday after all and we usually do dinner differently on a Friday.  After an outing we stopped off at the grocery store, without a shopping list - dear me!  Here is what we ended up with:
One piece of apple, two pieces of pear, two sausages on a stick, two olives, two slices of salami, one piece of cheese and a blueberry "lollipop".
With a piece of cherry pie for dessert of course.  Apple berry crumble pie was the closest I could find - thankfully it's all about what you think you are eating!

Brian LOVED it!  Lots of oohing and ahhing at the dinner table.  It wasn't half bad actually.  Kevin and I used to regularly enjoy antipasto dinners - can't afford it now.  This is a cheaper option.  The sausages were Woolworths pork chipolatas (put on the stick after cooking).  And the cheese was Mainland havarti.  I loved havarti as a child.  This was the first time we tried this brand, hello delicious!

Interesting to note that the blueberry "lollipop" was the first thing Brian ate and the last thing Kevin and I ate.  I love that Brian's imagination helped me out of a pickle!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea for dinner! No wonder it was such a big hit! Kate M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brooke,

    This is soooo cute and fun for a kid. That was awesome of you to do this for him. I love the blueberry lollipop, much better then a candy one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm needing a break from the computer also, it's been busy here and next week will be also. It was fun to do a green theme week though. Going to do this every few months I think.

    The weather has been so nice and all we do is hang outside, can't wait for summer to really be here.

    Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat idea for a kids dinner, I love how you styled it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kazu also loves the story! Love reading your story :-)

    ReplyDelete