Saturday morning Kevin and I flew (in a plane, not a hot air balloon) to Melbourne for a wedding, leaving the kids in Brisbane with my parents. Just enough expressed feeds to get Simon through until my return at 8am on Sunday morning. As we were about to be seated at the reception we got a call from my Dad saying that all Qantas flights had been grounded. Kevin was on the phone talking, I had no idea what was going on and thought something had happened to one of the kids. Kevin told me the news. Worst case was Simon would have to be formula fed and my parents had some just in case. But I must say there is this motherly instinct that kicks in, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the reception, the other half of my mind was with my kids.
During the cab ride home (to Nan's) I got a text from Qantas telling me that my flight was cancelled. The text came at 11pm, my flight was scheduled for 7am. As soon as we got to Nan's, my lovely hubby went online, confirmed Qantas would refund cancelled flights and made a fairly no fuss booking with Virgin. It wasn't until my flight home at 12pm on Sunday that I found out how perfect his timing was. Earlier in the evening that flight didn't exist. And a little later on the tickets for that flight were A LOT more. The lady next to me paid $140 more than I did. I was so very lucky.
As I arrived at the Melbourne terminal (before my flight home), the absolute worst day to be at an airport, Kevin told me to text him once I was at the gate (just in case they booted me off the flight because it was overbooked). I said "There is no need, because if I don't make it on the flight, you will see me on the news!". Breastfeeding Mumma coming through!! Inside the queues were insane. I'm now, finally thankful for self check in and boarding pass printing! It took me a minute or two at the machine. No checked baggage and straight through security. Phew! I felt like the Queen.
Home to my babies 5 hours later than scheduled and with one expressed feed left over. What perfect timing.

So glad you were able to get home! I have heard about all the commotion out is Aussie. I am going to Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, Whitsundays and Cairns when I come and visit your home land next November!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you made it home in time. What us moms will do to make sure and feed our babies. That is how I was too, you can never be sure with airplanes and flights being canceled.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy being home safe and sound now.
Brooke,
ReplyDeleteThis Mom just believes somethings are in God's hands, and when we BELIEVE, it always works out, just so happy you and Kevin made it to the MACNEIL Wedding ( HUGS)
Brooke,
ReplyDeleteThis Mom just believes somethings are in God's hands, and when we BELIEVE, it always works out, just so happy you and Kevin made it to the MACNEIL Wedding ( HUGS)
Sorry my PC froze and did a double take ...LOL...
ReplyDeleteLucky everything worked out well in the end and you were able to get home safely. It was certainly a shock to have quantas grounded wasn't it?
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got home ok and didn't get stuck xx
ReplyDelete