Brian went to Nanny and Pop's house and was so well behaved that Dad told me he didn't even push any boundaries. It made me pretty proud to hear that. I totally respect what it must be like to be a Grandparent and think that having to discipline your Grandchild must take away from that fun.
This suitcase was full when it left the house!
I have fond memories of playing and staying at my Grandparent's when I was young, so it's exciting to know that Brian is now creating some of those memories for himself. He was even so bold as to ask for "special ice cream" after dinner. Apparently when Nanny told him she didn't have any he decided he would have "creamy yoghurt" instead. Talk about descriptive - must have had a creamy craving!
We all love that he feels so at home there. I guess that comes from visiting nearly every weekend!
Nanny dressing Brian
Tuesday was a bit of a recovery day for everyone. Dad had been waiting for Brian to wake up since 5am, but the little guy slept in til 7!
We are wondering whether we squeeze in one more overnight stay before the baby comes. Kevin and I would so love a night out, dinner and a movie if we can stay awake long enough!
P.S. Thanks Dad for taking pictures!
.................................................................................................................................................................
[Tips For First Sleep Overs : What Worked For Us]
- It's easier on everyone if the child knows the people looking after them and vice versa. And being comfortable in the babysitting environment helps.
- Pack well (don't forget your son's t-shirt like I did!) and be sure to include some cuddly comforts from home. Brian has a blankie at Nanny and Pop's house, but I took his one from home just in case.
- Start out short. I dropped Brian off about 4pm, leaving myself at 5:15pm and then back the next morning at 9:15am.
- Make sure your carers know it's ok to discipline your child. And that you would prefer it that way. You don't want your child running all over the carer. I explained that when I discipline Brian I always tell him why I don't want him doing whatever it is he's doing. I find it helps him understand why I'm asking him to stop.
- Pack some toys. My poor parents end up reading 24/7 to Brian when he's there as he just loves it so much. I was careful to take quiet time toys that didn't involve reading, to give my parents a break. We took a fishing puzzle, a new car for his roadways playmat (a new Nanny purchase) and a bargain Take Along Thomas set I purchased a while back. Brian had never seen it before and it was a huge hit.
- Provide a list for the carer. Include the child's regular schedule, a break down of what you do at each stage and lyrics to their bedtime song (if they have one). I also included a "bad behaviour" section and briefed my parents on what I'd been experiencing with Brian, so if he got out of control they might be able to find a quicker way to calm him. Even if your carer doesn't use the list it's there if they need it.
- You'll miss your child like crazy but be sure to take advantage of the break.


2 years and 9 months you made us wait long enough.
ReplyDeleteAnother stay over is fine what night next week do you guys want to go out???
It's lovely for them to have a sleep over at the grandparents and lovely to have some time together as a couple again. I hope you had a lovely time too. xo
ReplyDelete