Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Before 4 Ingredient Recipes Were Famous

Somewhere among my recipe file mess, is the little green ornament-shaped cut out, illustrating this recipe that I've owned since somewhere around 1989 (owh so old). As far as recipe organisation goes I tried to simplify it way back when my PVC covered A5 folder, and remarkably low GSM lined paper inserts were just the coolest thing around. In this overly acid free world we now live in I get heeby jeebies every time that plasticy surface touches my hands, because it's surely bringing me to self destruction.

So let us document it on the world wide web for all to see in it's glory:



Chocolate Balls

250g Marie biscuits
1 cup coconut (plus extra for rolling)
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 tin condensed milk (395g)

1. Crush biscuits. (I do this about 4 at a time in a zip lock bag, using a rolling pin.)
2. Add coconut, condensed milk and cocoa to the biscuits.
3. Mix well. (See picture to right).
4. Shape into small balls and roll in coconut.
5. Refrigerate until firm (tastes better this way).


Disclaimer: This is a 100% true blue (Aussie) recipe so, 1 cup is 250ml and one tablespoon is 20ml. Coconut is desciated, who uses the shredded stuff? The tin size of the condensed milk has most probably dropped over the years, but recent experiments show this recipe still works. One last tip, rolling smaller sized balls in an effort to make them last longer will NOT work!



5 comments:

  1. Hello Brooke
    Thes kind a look like our snowballs that we have here. Of course you dont get much snow (0). So I guess they are the Aussie Mud Balls. Sure sure the ingredience is different too...but you have too hot there for the snow to stay firm...lol. But they sure do look food. Throw some my way...lol
    Aurelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. look Good...lol (not food) typo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chook,
    Forget the pictures just bring over the real thing, I need a snack.
    you know who

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like everyone just wants them made for them!! Am I seeing a business opportunity here??...hehe

    They were made last Thursday and gone by Friday night (and Mum's group even managed to get a few!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chook we had the real thing last night

    ReplyDelete