Thursday, 11 July 2013

The Stuff That Matters

On the last Sunday in June I planned an, at home all day, pyjama day.  After a late breakfast it hit me just how hard, but particularly long, Kevin had been working and that the kids and he hadn't seen each other since Friday morning, possibly longer (he does uni work in his office in the city on weekends #liferightnow).  I dreamt up a cool plan to surprise him with lunch out with the three loves of his life.  Then I worried that he might have already eaten or he might really not have time to stop.  So I texted:
The kids love this kind of adventure.  Just the mention of Daddy and they light up.  Someone found a car park within the city limits and parallel parked on the opposite side of the road to usual (legally), in the most shocking fashion!!  We donned raincoats and umbrella and headed to meet Kevin.  2 eating options came up, we chose the inside one (Wagamama), as it was freezing.

The guy that has been serving us there since before we had kids took us to our seats.  We ordered, too much as usual (but nothing was wasted!):
(Brooke = Pink, Kevin = Blue, Brian = Green, Simon = Orange)
For dessert, so naughty!!, the kids and I shared a Banana Katsu and Kevin had a Coconut Creme Brulee all to himself!

This is the first time we have ordered a separate dish for Simon.  Usually he shares with someone else, Brian or I.  Kids eat free here with a main meal purchase so it's kinda awesome!!  Brian ate almost all his rice and Simon scoffed everything.  He loved noodles, but he loved the juice even more.  We don't give him juice but here it's freshly squeezed so we let him try it.  I held the straw for him, he about ate my fingers and Kevin and I laughed and laughed as the liquid level in that cup dropped, and dropped and dropped in a matter of seconds!  "Like it", he says.  No kidding!!

It was nice.  Watching the kids play, trying to eat my own lunch in between helping Simon, kerbing brotherly disagreements and just being a family.

After lunch Brian begged Kevin to visit his office.  We did.  Kevin and I watched as the kids explored Kevin's workspace, chatting about this and that.  They loved it and I think Kevin was surprised with how much they got out of being set free in there.  Brian was able to leave with one of Kevin's business cards and later that night he called him from home, dialling the numbers himself using the card.

So grateful for this stuff and moderately do-able weekend city parking! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of lunch date! YUM! Kate

    ReplyDelete