Friday, 31 May 2013

Farewell May

I'm going to go right ahead and say that May has not been kind to us.  Survival has been our/my only daily goal.
I sent this to Kevin.
How I slept (upright) while he was away.
(First phone photos on blog!!)
HEALTH
Essentially the source of all of our problems started here.  Brian's cough became my cough, Kevin's cough, Simon's cough and Brian's cough again.  And then any and everyone we know was sick in some way or another.  No one of us is completely 100% right now (in fact Kevin is on his second day off work = very rare), along with what it seems, the rest of Australia.

Last month I was so excited to welcome the season change.  Now I'm recalling my months of sickness last year, that albeit started much later in the year.  The cough that doesn't go away.  The one that requires purchase of things usually meant for old people and perusing that aisle in the grocery store that you just don't want to.  It means buying boxes and boxes of Throaties.  The cough lolly that my Nan has had for years.  The one I buy because it reminds me of her.  The one that now I can't stand because I have had them in my mouth for too many a day and night.  I have spent almost this entire month sleeping sitting upright.  I can't tell you how draining that is.  The desire to lie down and let your body rest is so strong and so necessary.  I have only just recently downgraded my 'sleeping upright' status to sleeping on two high pillows (normal for me is two one regular pillows [so long I actually forgot how many pillows are normal for me]).

MEALS
I'm pretty sure we should be full swing into soup and casserole season.  But right now we are in survival mode.  I might be almost better but I'm still drained, so keeping things super simple.  Kevin was away for just over 2 weeks this month and my parents brought around some chilli con carne.  I gratefully accepted the container and served it to the boys and I that night.  And then the following two nights.  Getting three nights out of that little puppy was like heaven.  Three of the most nutritious meals I feel we have eaten this month.  Pure, utter, bliss.
Grateful for my parents bringing over this meal.
While Kevin was away I bought food, packaged it up, froze it and heated it when I could, still trying to eat well so we have what we need to get better.  I have made the odd large dish which we have had for two nights and I've frozen the left overs to be served again at a later date with fresh vegetables.  This is working and giving me time.  The oven has been my friend.  Basically because I don't need to do much prep.

DRINK
Hot chocolates purchased.  Jarrah, I'm sorry to say that your hot chocolate mixes, as much as that white hot chocolate lured me in, just does not cut it.  Even with my newly purchased electric milk frother device.  Necessities right?!  Lindt hot chocolate is in the house, not yet opened.  A $22 bill just for myself (because they don't take plastic for under $15) at Max Brenner, just to get a hot chocolate was truly justified!

Oddly feeling the need to drink mocktails often.  Reading about freezing up left over juices to make it super simple to whip these up when I'm thirsty.  = )

FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
Purchased our first rockmelon.  The year Brian started kindy was the year that I learnt to chop up these babies in about 30 seconds flat.

Lots of grapes, because they require no lunch box prep, except for cutting in half for Simon (choke prevention).  Still eating mandarins but they may be on the out?  Could that be already?

Tomatoes expensive.  Pumpkins cheap.

WEARING
Somehow surviving on my limited wardrobe of 4 pairs of 'ok in public' pants.  FYI that includes one pair of years old tracksuit pants (stylin') and one pair of jean legging/stretch pants.  Read:  two of those should not be seen!

I'm also rockin the 'I own one jumper' status.  Serious need of clothes and/or losing a little weight (which will gain me pants and maybe a jacket).  Happy to scrape through and make it work for a little longer.

My shoes, reflect the rest of my wardrobe.  Searching for a new pair of cute brown shoes.  Trying to further wear in my black ones.  I hate shoes that hurt my feet.  I buy super comfort (expensive) brands to avoid that.  Clearly my last black shoe purchase was not wise enough.

Still desperately need a waterproof raincoat for myself.

Brian is wearing jumper and pants to school daily, although most of his friends are still in shorts.  It's freezing, their parents are in pants, so I'm thinking they don't want to visit the uniform shop, just like I don't.  I've picked up 3 pairs of pants (tracksuit) and 2 jumpers for a grand total of $25 for Brian.  Thank you Big W.  Winter uniform satisfactorily completed for about half the price of his school jackets from the uniform shop.

Brian has also been the lucky recipient of a new at home wardrobe.  Going with jeans (size 4, for length not stomach!) mostly this year and a few tops and two jumpers (had one already in size 5).  Sticking with school shoes for weekend wear.  Matching outfits to black shoes for the first time ever (usually brown).

Kids pyjamas.  Learning (remembering) that I love thick tracksuit like two piece pjs (joined with buttons) for kids still in the cot that don't stay under their blankets.  And cute thin fitted two piece long pjs (100% cotton, minimal print on front for comfort sake) for my big boy who stays under the covers.  The big boy will not wear his dressing gown in the mornings, or a jumper or a zip up vest.  Imagine how bad I would be raising a girl!

Currently all surviving with no slippers.  Kevin just bought a few new pairs of pyjamas (and scored two extras that come as part of international business class travel).  Love them, love his taste, sneaking many little glances.

HOME
On the fence as to whether our doona is too warm for me or I'm still a little sick.  Dreaming of purchasing awesome looking, cosy feeling, grandly expensive throw rugs for the tv room.  One we have, met with a child who has always had an affinity to lengths of cotton.  The other is highly sentimental (containing lengths of loose cottons) and not quite as snuggly as one might need at wintertime.

Playing Melbournian Housewife (move the washing several times a day according to ever changing weather conditions) with Kevin and my bath towels.  They don't dry between uses unless I seek out alternate drying spots for them.  I have a plan but that falls into the 'do without permission and beg for forgiveness' category.  Kevin reads the blog.

Noticing more washing.  More layers, more wash cycles per week.

WEATHER
Mother Nature loves the school pick up rain trick.  Raincoats, umbrellas and alternate prams are thrown in the mix to avoid a soaking.  The back of my car contains a little from a cross section of my house (coats, jumpers, toys, grass).  Raining more and for longer during the day.

Dark all the time.  Up til about 6:30am and then from 5:30pm.

Certainly colder than last month.  Car air con is heating, no longer cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment