Sunday, 10 February 2013

Thoughts On School | A Week On & Two Weeks On (because I didn't post the first one)

From my Grade 6 t-shirt, it was 12 years old in this photo.
Totaling 4 days completed.

Recalling this same lost, 'is this the right thing', 'what on Earth am I doing' feeling at the beginning of kindy.

Learning the schedule and adjusting lunchboxes to suit.

Farewelling the amount of work I used to get done between 6 and 9am.  Getting out the door is now our only priority.

Accepting that only a few extra curricular activities mean filling up our calendar for an entire month.

Exhausting.  Enough said.
...........................................................................................................................................................

Totaling 9 days completed.

Accepting that this school thing is a lot about Mummy's letting go.

Learning that regardless of our backgrounds and situations the kids are all going through the same thing.  No one child is really on top of it all.

Rethinking the laundry.  It turns out I do need that laundry schedule after all.  How did we get here?

Trying my best to get my head around what my child does during the day.  Pretend play at this age is so much everyday life and so real that I can't tell the difference.  (That translates to I can't believe a word he says even if he looks like he is telling the truth.  3 days later he tells me that was pretend.  Ok.)

Keeping it real on the volunteering front.  The guilt associated is high.  It's my own pressure I'm sure, but I'm staking my time where it works best.

Remembering what it is like to have a weekend.  Or really, what that 'thank god it's Friday' feeling is all about.  Hallelujah! (writing this on a Friday)

Finding time.  My Mum told me that I'll start to find some time in my day.  I'm sort of doing that.  The issue is that I didn't have any time for so many necessities that once my day opened up I just slotted all the stuff that never got done in and I was overbooked again.  Loving getting it all done.  Feels right.  And normal.

Living.  My week has it's roller coaster shape now.  By Wednesday I'm buggered.  Thursday is completely nuts and then Friday dips back down to somewhere near normal again.

Purchasing new clothes.  I didn't have enough outfits to last the week.  Beyond sad.  Just topping up with some tops..ha!  Nothing fancy, just 'able to be seen in public' stuff.  Working on asking the hubby for an underwear and (dare I say it) bra budget.  The amount of money we saved on pyjama days is really quite something.

Crying.  Just a little, that some days (those days where the roller coaster is at the top) it feels like I've lost my boy for the fun parts of the day and I just get him for the crap, crazy afternoon of hunger and tiredness.  The times when I wonder what the neighbours think we are doing.  And the times when I curse losing channel 9 because I really need SuperNanny to pay me a visit.

Cherishing.  Every little bit.  Like the guided tour I got of the school grounds this afternoon, by Brian the Tour Guide.  And the conversation with another Mum who told me that Brian had walked by her earlier in the week and said "Hi X's Mummy, we are lost" (really they weren't, see Trying My Best point above!).  And the teacher (at best guess) that stopped on her way past and said "Hello Brian".  And calling the office and them saying "Oh, you're Brian's Mum", when I've never set foot in the office (and given my name).  And the excitement Brian had for having to stand up and sing the National Anthem today.  And the way he hears the bell when I don't.  And the little jig that he dances to the bell every single day.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment