Sunday, 8 July 2012

Farewell Pop

I wrote this post at 10pm on Saturday 7th July 2012 and held it off going live until all the family knew.
Dear Pop,

Dad called tonight to tell me that you are no longer with us.  It hasn't sunk in yet.  Part of me believes that you are yourself again now.  Our last visit with you was perfect, but hard too.  I'm so glad you got to meet my boys.  After our second last visit (June 2010) Brian carried around the photo of you and him reading Mr Puffer-Bill for days.  It's still in my bedside drawer.  We now own a tattered copy that we will treasure.

Most of my memories of you are the outdoors man.  Tending to your yard.  I pruned ours today (first time in over 1 year), I must have known.  It was therapeutic.  I remember you taking Dad and I on a tour of your yard and showing him your compost.  I wasn't allowed to look.  I'm pretty sure you had some sparrows in there.

I also remember your garden in Dimboola.  Pulling out carrots.  I think that place was a big part of your soul.  Just like the Adidas tracksuit with the stripes, a love of North Melbourne Football Club, and taking a spell.  I love how much you loved my Mum.  I like that as your Daughter In Law, you and her got on so well.  And I like that you noticed her walk that day we tried to surprise you and you thought we were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Your 80th birthday was a huge time for our family.  The first time you met Kerri, Kimberly, Drew and Kevin.  The first time in 12 years that you had seen your first Grandchild, Dallas.  The memories we made that August will stay with us forever.  The first scrapbook I ever made was for you.

Pop, we are going to miss you.  But my heart is breaking for Nan.  The two of you showed Kevin and I that love can last forever.  And it gets cuter with age.  On one of our visits you and Nan had prepared a platter of  rockmelon and honeydew.  Fruits you love.  You told us the story of how neither one of you could cut the melon on your own but together you each fulfilled your own little role to get it done.  That right there is true love.  We ate that melon like we hadn't eaten in years.  It became our little in joke, just the 4 of us.

Goodbye Pop.  I hope you are at peace now.

Love Brooke.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Brooke and Kevin
    My condolences to you and your family. I just read your blog yesterday where you said that your grandfather was not doing well and I figured that he knew his time was near. But you know there is never a good time for the family left behind that have to deal with such a tragedy of family loss. Pass on my sincere condolences to Peter and Jenny. I am certain that it is a difficult time for both of them. I am sure you and Kevin are busy now preparing for a trip to see your grandmother and comfort her during this time. Well my prayers are with you and I won't take up your time. You will be so busy.Take care and have a safe trip.
    Aurelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful letter to your Pop. How sad that he is no longer with us! So sorry for your loss but so glad he got to meet your boys xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brooke! The last part about the melon brought tears to my eyes! What a lovely tribute to your Pop! You should definitely share it with other family members! It will take a long time to get used to him not being around and more, but take comfort in knowing he has gone to a better place where he'll enjoy looking down on you! *hugs* Kate M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brooke I am so sorry for your loss. Your letter is beautiful, tears filled my eyes as I read it. It's painted a wonderful picture of your Pop and the precious memories that you have of him. I hope that you are keeping well and that your Nan is coping. Take care. Hugs to you. xx

    ReplyDelete