Friday, 15 June 2012

How We Do Snacks

Quite a while back I made the decision to stop buying muesli bars from the grocery store.  They were my easy go to snack for Brian.  I no longer buy prepackaged snacks for him and I like the change because this is the Mum that I want to be.  

I can't say it doesn't hurt when he tells me that he doesn't like banana biscuits that I slaved over.  I even creamed the butter and sugar with Nanny's Special Blender (yes Mum, the Kenwood has a new name and it's right at home with us).  FYI, the biscuits were/are delicious and Brian does enjoy eating them.  They are cakelike biscuits and an awesome way to use up banana when you have a year's supply of banana loaf already in the freezer.

The point of the post and the photo is to tell you that I'm enjoying getting a little creative with Brian's snacks.  I'm not big on adding something unhealthy just to pretty it up.  So around here we do "natural sprinkles", aka crushed frozen raspberries.  We have also done cherries (from a jar).  Brian loved the "cherries and pink topping".  See Kevin, you do eat with your eyes.  He believes it's pink topping so it works.  It's really just a couple of extra drops of the liquid from the jar.  I'm blessed with a little boy that eats and enjoys anything.  Peas are like lollies, fruit is like Christmas, etc.  So he does eat the yoghurt plain, but who doesn't want something fun and special too?!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! You have me drooling! I like your homemade snack philosophy! So much healthier and cheaper! Kate M xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke you are such a good Mum:) Cooking is often a journey and we change along the way I've changed so much over the years with what I cook for my family. I still have the odd I don't really like something but I still persist, I will always keep trying. I think starting young is the key to good eating for life and it's wonderful that Brian finds healthy food so tasty. x

    ReplyDelete