Tuesday, 8 May 2012

It's Not As Difficult As You Think

Recently I had a serious craving for sushi and a bag of sushi rice to use up.  So I scoured the net looking for the perfect contraption to make the process easier.  I couldn't decide, so I stuck with what I had.  Then I gave myself a little "you can do it" pep talk and I made sushi, two days in a row.  It doesn't take as long as you think, and I've now perfected my technique.  Documenting it for future reference!  I do recommend being organised and you might find it as therapeutic as I did.  Here's my process:

Make rice.  I used Sunrice Sushi Rice and followed the packet directions for "Sushi Method", complete with 3 tbs of Sushi vinegar and cooled using my favourite Japanese fan.


Prepare your work area.  I didn't do this so well the first night and it wasn't as enjoyable.  From top left: Nori sheets cut in half (follow the little indent in the sheets to know which way to cut), knife, rice, fillings (avocado with a little orange juice to stop browning, tuna with Japanese mayo and, cucumber not pictured), flat plate for completed rolls, brush and water to seal edge, cutting board, bamboo mat covered in cling wrap to keep it cleaner and one nori sheet ready to go.


 Spread a little rice over the nori sheet, leaving space at one end.  You don't need much because these rolls are small and you don't want to overfill them.


 Place a small amount of filling on the end closest to you, make sure it goes right to the edges.


 Start rolling.  Brush the end with a little water to help it stay closed.  Place on your plate and when you have a few cut them into 6 pieces using a knife dipped in water before each (and every) cut.


 Love your hubby for buying you a real Bento box (thanks Kevin) and serve.  I added mandarin to fill up the other section.  The previous night we had a little left over rice with chicken and satay sauce.  The green in the soy sauce is wasabi.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for reminding me that sushi making really isn't that hard, it is just a matter of being organised and having the room the prepare everything! I will have to give it a go! Yours lool delicious, Brooke! Kate M

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls love sushi especially Miss 12 but I thought it might be a bit hard to make but I love your tutorial maybe we should give it a try sometime over the holidays. Thanks for the encouragement:) x

    ReplyDelete