Welcome to the fifth and final Birthday Celebration post. Unfortunately this one hasn't turned out quite the way I planned it, so I'm improvising! If you recall, the gift of this celebration was knowledge, shared via a range of tips from people that inspire me. And today is no different. I'm linking up to posts that share a whole range of other awesome tips. All are fairly recent finds for me so I'm looking forward to implementing them in my daily life. Some have been sent to me, others I've found and one provided me with an "Aha Moment" (it's even in the dictionary!) that has changed my thinking permanently.
As today is our last day of tips, please feel free to add any of your own tips in the comments below. I often find it's the most simple tips that we learn most from.
1. Tips For Using GIMP
There is no doubt that I'm a novice when it comes to editing photos. I'd like to be better but that's a time investment I don't have right now. Photoshop isn't a reality for us due to cost, so I use the GIMP. I find it really difficult to get help for this program, probably because it's free. Kevin sent me this link and I'm so very grateful.
2. 25 Household Tips
Something else Kevin sent me in an email - I'm still not quite sure what he was trying to tell me?! While having our fitted sheets in a folded mess bothers me I wont be ironing and folding them this perfectly anytime soon! But some of the other tips are pretty awesome.
3. Tips For Using Point & Shoot Cameras
We have two cameras, a DSLR and my point & shoot. It's kind of funny (or sad) that we spent a packet on the big camera (DSLR) but rarely use it anymore, it's just too big to fit in my handbag! Kevin bought me the point & shoot just before Brian was born. It still remains the best gift ever. The gift of giving someone the ability to capture the special moments of our family is surely priceless.
There is a clear quality difference between the images that come out of the DSLR and the point & shoot. I'm quickly learning there are many ways to get better shots out of smaller cameras. These tips are so valuable to me.
4. Who Links To Your Blog?
A little while ago I found one of my photos on another blog. It was credited but I was never asked if I was ok with it. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. Truth be told, if I was asked I probably would have said yes. It did get me wondering though. How many more of my photos are out there that I don't know about? How do I know who links back to my blog?, etc., etc. Right now I do use the Blogger stats to see who comes to my blog, but it's not very in depth and half the time I don't even know how to read it! 71 visits in one day, but I don't know where they came from.
I've shared before why I started my blog and that its evolved into a way to keep memories for my family. I'm finding more so lately that it's a bit more about avoiding spam and image use rather than documenting. Does anyone else feel like an old granny in a high tech world?
5. Tips For Kids Lunchboxes and my "Aha Moment"
I LOVED this post from Christie at Childhood 101. It came as I was preparing Brian for the start of kindy and we were testing out his lunchbox and snacks. The note from Brian's kindy said that morning tea had to be provided in a paper bag. What can I pack in a paper bag that wont leak through? So I was training him up on eating whole pieces of fruit without any assistance. He loved it, lots of conversations about seeds and pips.
The one thing I never considered is how long it takes to eat something like this. Brian is a slow eater at the best of times and the last thing I wanted was for him to sit and eat his lunch all day while others played. The best thing about this tip was that it wasn't the main focus of the post, it was a P.P.S at the end and it has changed everything for me! Thanks Christie!!
Hi Brooke,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all thank you so much for all the added fun and helpful tips this month.
I am also an old granny to this techie world, it's been mentioned in my posts. Just having this new computr is throwing me off and making it hard to enjoy some days. Really wish I had a blogger friend nearby to help learn with.
Oh your poor boy, I remember my daughter Renee who loves food and in school was always told she had to be done at lunch before finishing her food. This made her cry for two weeks, I finally called the school and the principal started eating with her and telling her she could take as long as she wanted. She was so happy after that.
Cameras are the best gift and product anyone could have. I love telling my family story with ours. So wish I had done more of this when they were babies though. I missed out on all the little everyday things and just did a lot of the big events.
Thanks again and have a good week!
I'm going to check out your links now - thanks for sharing! Of course, I could be doing other things but internet surfing is lots more fun!
ReplyDeleteThank you for these links I'm always on the look out for lunch box tips, it's always good to get new ideas. And I would love to take better photos so I'll be reading up on this one:) Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words about my father they were of great comfort to me:) x
ReplyDeleteBrooke, thanks so much for linking to my photography post. This is fantastic link-up, and I'm quite flattered to be part of it! :D
ReplyDelete- Lindsay