Sunday, 10 April 2011

On The Menu This Week

Our grocery budget runs monthly starting on the 15th of the month.  The last week of the budget always scares me as I have to "fit it all in".  This week are using what's in the fridge, freezer and pantry so I'll have very few items to pick up and that makes me happy!

Source:  My Kitchen Rules
Sunday:  Roast Beef & Potato Gratin
Potato gratin recipe from My Kitchen Rules, couldn't find leek so are replacing the leek and red onions with brown onions.  Wondering exactly how bad all that cream will be!  Beef will be roasted with some mustard and garlic on top.  Poor Kevin is working on an assignment at his office and he's if he's still there at dinner time will be eating ham and mustard sandwiches!

Monday:  Roast Beef & Potato Gratin
To make my weeks easier I cook a meal that serves 4 and we have it two nights in a row.  I don't find this too repetitive as I'm always trying new meals.  We are not one of those families that has the same thing week in, week out or even month to month.  I thank Super Food Ideas magazine for constant inspiration!

Source:  Taste.com.au
Tuesday:  Pear & Parmesan Salad With Chicken
Pear & Parmesan Salad recipe from Super Food Ideas.  Will probably ditch the rocket and witlof as I already have everything else.  Chicken will be what looks good at time of shopping - most likely seasoned roasting pieces.  I shred and freeze left overs and use them in salads or pizzas, etc. later on.

Source:  Taste.com.au
Wednesday:  Vegetable Fritters, Steamed Broccoli & Fish
Vegetable Fritters recipe from Super Food Ideas.  We'll skip all the fancy accompaniments and just have the actual fritters.  Broccoli to use up what's in the fridge.  I've started something new in the way of shopping for fruit and veggies and I'll share it with you as soon as I can get photos from my camera to the computer.  Fish is that horrible crumbed stuff from the freezer section, I have a half box left over.  Sad, but I don't have the courage to cook fresh fish!

Thursday:  Avocado, Chicken & Cheese Melts
Will share pictures and recipe of this with you soon.  It's easy, fresh and cheesy.  Kevin will be late this night so Brian and I take it really easy.

Friday:  Pizzas
Also have a yummy recipe and pictures to share of this one too (more on that another day).  We'll just be putting on what's in the fridge.  Probably chicken or left over beef, tomatoes, pineapple, capsicum, onion and tinned corn.

Saturday:  Left Overs
I'm keeping this day free as I have a feeling the salad might last us two nights, bumping everything one day further into the week.  If not, Brian and I will have some kind of left overs, possibly Chow Mein from the freezer.  Kevin will be at the footy!  Owh, maybe Brian and I can have a footy night complete with hot dogs - not sure they are on the toddler healthy foods list or the pregnant Mummy list though!!

Sunday:  Left Overs Again
Also keeping this night free.  We might be having a big lunch so a little dinner will probably be in order.  Kevin will be late, group assignment meeting, poor guy is more than run off his feet lately.  We have lots of reserves in the freezer and pantry.

3 comments:

  1. don't forget our Ben Hur (thats big) snack AM saturday

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much easier when you've got your menu all planned and cheaper too. On Friday night we usually have leftovers, it's nice to have a night off from cooking. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, loved the Tuesday's recipee: Pear & Parmesan Salad With Chicken, will try it for sure.

    Check out how we celebrated Earth's Day this week - http://blog.memetales.com/2011/04/earths-day-kids-craft-and-books/

    ReplyDelete