Thursday, 21 April 2011

Easter Gift Ideas For Adults

Not everyone buys Easter gifts for adults but in my family whoever we spend our major Easter celebration with, child or adult, everyone gets a gift.  Usually it's just my parents, brother, Kevin and I, but this year we will be buying for my brother's girlfriend too - what to buy a pastry chef for Easter?!

With all Easter gifts we usually stick to a maximum of $15, but our spend is quite often between about $10 - $12.  No one tell Kevin but his will be more (expensive taste).

Here we go:

Easter Gifts For Adults

1.  Nostalgia
Source:  Tom's Confectionery Warehouse
Source:  Chilli Red
I find this works for all older age groups.  Everyone likes to relive their childhood through sweets.  So keep a list of your family or friend's favourite old time treats and hunt them down at Easter time.  

  • Jelly beans from the Chemist (Mum used to buy these all the time for us) - still sold at Chemists. 
  • Chokitos (from showbags as a youngster) - find in the candy bar aisle at the supermarket.
  • White Knights (my parents remember these) - also in the candy bar aisle of the supermarket.
  • Milko and Redskin lollies - candy bar aisle of the supermarket in large bag packs.
  • Sunny Boys (from showbags as a youngster) - in the supermarket icey pole aisle.
  • American candies (especially for Kevin) - most major shopping centres have a devoted candy store that sell a good range, Overflow sells selected American bars for $1.99 each, also Google American candy stores - there is one in Brisbane CBD.
  • Mixed lollies (my childhood favourite) - you can still fill your own bag from the candy stores in most shopping centres, or make up a few packs of your own by buying the cheap $1+ packs from Kmart and Big W.  If you stick to the majors like Sherbies, spearmint leaves, etc. you won't notice a difference in quality.
Most major cities also have larger lolly shops like Tom's Confectionery Warehouse making this choice easier on you.


2.  The "I Love My Home" type
Everyone knows someone that loves to decorate their home and change it with the seasons.  My favourite place for seasonal, better quality home decor items is Bed, Bath and Table.  Right now they have a huge range of Easter decorations and even tea towels!

Myer and David Jones are also good places to pick up a few seasonal items.  The crockery department in Myer is always good with cute seasonal plates and dishes to brighten the home.


3.  The "I Love Quality Chocolate" type
Source:  Godiva
Hello Kevin!  I can't reveal all my secrets right now but I usually do most of my shopping for Kevin at David Jones and Myer.  David Jones have a chocolate counter where you can pick and choose as many truffles as you, or your budget desires.  This year though I have something new in store.  My tips here, are follow local food bloggers and writers like they are your best buddies.  They will steer you towards the best chocolate hot spots in your city, often places you have never heard of and even special chocolate related events.  

When you are spending this kind of money, or really even buying high quality, make sure your packaging, tags etc. reflect that.  The last thing you want is to give a gift of awesome quality and deliver it in poor style.  It's the experience here that counts.


4.  "The Pastry Chef"
Source:  Max Brenner
Well this category is a little new for me.  I'm not sure whether to go super nice or old time favourites.  I know the pastry chef I am buying for works at one Brisbane's most famous shops for all things that are good this time of year.  So chances are my money can't out do what she's used to.

Maybe here we go for something a little different like a chocolate fondue set or a trip to Max Brenner.  Sometimes giving "an experience" is better.


5.  The "Variety" type
This is me.  I love a little bit of everything, which can be pretty hard when Easter eggs are so darn expensive.  My tops include birds nest eggs (the ones with the crunchy coating), one Cadbury Creme egg (I can't handle more than that), something mint filled and a few little surprises.  A box of Roses chocolates is also a big hit as it's variety central.  Come to think of it boxes of chocolates are probably a good choice for "The Variety Type" as you get lots of choice.  Aim for boxes that include soft and hard centres.  Quality Streets were always the best but I can't find those anymore.

6.  The "I Don't Like Chocolate" type
Here you have two choices, stick with food related items or ditch food and go with something else.

For food items, ask yourself what they do like?  Savoury items?  Ice cream?  Fruit?  For savoury lovers you could do a mix of nuts, chips, etc. or you go a little more up market and provide a nice crusty bread alongside some meats and cheeses from a specialist deli.  

Ice cream lovers - head to Baskin Robbins.  The have a great range of ice creams with a few take home pack choices and will also add a couple of flavours in there for you.    I have seen at Kmart a "mix your own" ice cream set ($12) that contains a marble board and some paddles to mix in your favourite items into your ice cream just like Cold Rock.

Fruit lovers - head to the local markets and pick up a few gorgeous looking in season and rare items.  Arrange in a basket and your done.

Non food ideas - this is kind of a tough one as everyone is different.  My brother and I received a board game once as an Easter gift and it was perfect.  It brings everyone together for a night of fun.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!Brooke! You've thought of everything and everyone! I feel bad now that I haven't bought anything for Kent, but we have a whole bag full of Easter goodies that we got from his work that we'll enjoy together :) Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...your ideas are awesome for Easter gift. I love the "Pastry Chef". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke what a great post. Thank you for all those great ideas for easter, I love the ideas of buying some of the old time sweets, really clever. I hope you and your family have a fun and happy easter. xo

    P.S. You asked if I quilt? I would love to one day but haven't tried yet....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this!!! I am in sweetie heaven!

    ReplyDelete