Wednesday, 30 March 2011

So Great I Had To Review It For You : Ave' Cucina

Sunday morning was wonderful, so wonderful in fact that I can't not tell you about it.  Now, this was a Mum's morning out, no children and no camera.  So a review without photos might be interesting but we'll see how we go.


4 other Mums and I (minus the kids) met at Ave' Cucina (16 Eva Street, Coorparoo).  None of us had ever tried it, but we knew of the cafe due to the My Kitchen Rules fame of owners Shadi and Veronica.  I loved how they drew on their Lebanese and Italian heritage for awesome dishes during the show and I had wanted to try Ave' Cucina for dinner (little did I know then that they are a cafe, not a restaurant and, not open for dinner service).  I must admit I was a little worried we would be missing out on the true style of the place by going for breakfast.  Boy was I wrong.

As dishes came out from the kitchen, people at other tables were literally "oohing and aahing" over them.  There is no doubt a lot of thought has been put into the way each meal & beverage is served.  A couple of my friends had the french toast (with a side of bacon) which simply looked stunning.  Apparently the fruit compote served with it is divine.

If I tell you right now that the presentation of this dish has changed since the photo below, and that the new version looks sooo much nicer (is that possible?), then you're ordering this one right?


What I loved about the menu is that there was something for everyone.  A great mix of light and heavier meals as well as small and larger dishes, I think I even spied a little children's menu.  Really, whatever you felt like you could find something to accommodate.  

The freshly squeezed juices are a must.  Flavours vary (I'm assuming they are seasonal), on the day we had a choice of apple, pineapple and mint or orange.  I went for the first one and it sounded so good that a couple more were added to our table.  The wait staff seemed to forget about our juices and they were delivered at the end of our meal after a little reminder, which I actually preferred.  The fresh finishing to the breakfast was lovely and chilled water constantly being delivered to our table meant we didn't go thirsty.  As we were leaving I spied a couple who ordered the orange juice, it was neon in colour and looked divine.  I'm wondering if I could get away with a little return trip just for one of those!

Source:  Bean Hunter

The inside of the cafe is small and cozy which made for a nice chat, but there is more space outside.  On a Sunday morning the place was quite busy and as we left there was a short line up.  Arrive at 7:50am and you should be fine.

Another great touch was that the waitress had tallied up our bill and calculated how much it would be for each person.  I was thankful I didn't have to deal with any maths on a Sunday morning.

Overall it really seems that Shadi and Veronica have thought of everything.  We are all raving about a wonderful morning that was made so much more by great friendly service, yummy fresh food and a place that feels like it knows who it is.

................................................................................................................................................................
Ave' Cucina & Coffee Bar
16 Eva Street, Coorparoo
Phone:  3161 5937

Hours:  Wed - Sat 7am - 3:30pm
            Sun 8am - 1pm
Parking:  Car park and street parking, plenty available

1 comment:

  1. I had heard they opened their own cafe in Brisbane, it sounds like a nice little place to try. When we go on dates we always like to try new places, thanks for the review we might have to try this one out. xo

    ReplyDelete