Monday, 21 March 2011

National Playgroup Week

20th - 26th March 2011 is National Playgroup Week.  What this means for families is that Playgroups around Australia are hosting a range of fun events.  Last year we went to a local event and I was surprised how it changed and challenged my ideas on PLAY.

I think in today's society kids have so many toys that it's really easy to lose sense of our own imaginations and just let them play with commercially purchased toys.  But let's face it, the real fun, and for me a real childhood is about getting messy, dirty and using your imagination.
What I love about these Playgroup events is that there is a real shift back to those basic, fun methods of play.  Dare I admit it but I was absolutely blown away when I walked into the event last year and saw a bunch of kids painting with water on concrete.  Why hadn't I thought of that?  And you can't really get much cheaper can you?  Most of us have a bucket and a paintbrush lying around.

National Playgroup Week is running around Australia all this week.  Click here to find out more about what's on in your area.  And if you attend an event please leave me a comment about one of the activities you saw that blew you away.
.................................................................................................................................................................
We Play
We are linking up again with Childhood 101, the families there are never short on great ideas for play.  Make sure you check out the "We Play.." post that goes live every Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, Playgroups are always fun with kids and I feel it allows them to interact with other kids which is always a good thing! Wish we had such a week here in US :)

    We read a book and did a related craft this week, check it out here:
    http://blog.memetales.com/2011/03/parrot-kids-craft/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this when I worked in childcare. It's such a simple but the little ones loved it. I agree that sometimes we just need to get back to the basics with little ones, often they love it more than plastic toys. xo

    ReplyDelete