Friday, 12 November 2010

Thoughts on Halloween - An Aussie View

Brian's first ever Halloween treat and probably his 3rd chocolate ever!

Halloween isn't an Aussie tradition, but for about the last 3 years I've decorated the front door 'just in case'. Thanks to the blog-o-sphere and the grocery store I made a couple of observations this year that I thought worthy of recording (despite feeling seriously under qualified to be making said observations):
  • It seems Aussies adopted the 'candy buying' a lot more this year. Sunday afternoon the individually wrapped bags of chocolate bars section of the grocery store was completely bare.
  • Most of my friends had no visitors. One had visitors on both Saturday and Sunday, she was completely unprepared.
  • I love the sense of community trick or treating brings out.
  • Parent's have no control over what's behind the door and some costumes are pretty scary.
  • Even as a candy lover the sheer amounts of candy kids bought home scared me.
  • I rarely step out of my comfort zone, so dressing up in a fun costume (Kevin included) sounds kind of like a fun and different idea. Especially now as I'm sure the look on Brian's face would be priceless.
  • Next year's Halloween will (sadly?) be spent the same way as this year's.

How we spent our Halloween:
  • Brian and I decorated the front entrance.
  • He was pretty scared of the big spider (only because he's seen the real thing).
  • I wrapped up some candy 'just in case'.
  • Brian played with the candy in the bucket but wasn't into taking the paper off and/or eating it (thankfully).
  • I made Brian go to the front door and say "trick or treat".
  • I then said "I may have a treat for you. Can you find it?" It was hidden in one of the decorations.
  • He was super excited and got to open and eat his little package.
  • Kevin came home to find a big bag of treats all packaged up for him and I. At first he pretended not to notice.
  • No one knocked on the door, so those treats were added to ours.
  • The next morning I packed up the decorations and put them back into the cupboard. Short and sweet, really.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time!! And so nice Brian was so involved! **But Brooke... he definitely needs more chocolate. If I could, I would send tuns of chocolate his way hehe, but I'm sure the people at border services would eat them instead. It's too bad we can't ship food to Australia~

    Some quick notes about our Halloween night... old ladies dressed as witches trick or treating, kids coming back for seconds, a young girl telling me she didn't like the type of chips we were giving out and if there was an alternative, a teenager came to the door with a box on his head which simply read "I'm doing you a favor". Doors opened at 5:30 with our first guest, and we ran out at 7:30 with having over 150 kids (and after digging into Peyton's candy dish for things she wouldn't eat to give back out). It was a lot of fun, but we weren't prepared for that many kids, and poor Peyton was a little scared with the spooky noises, but she just loved getting chocolate!

    Costumes?? If so, do tell. Next year I'll be taking the girls out, so maybe we'll go as a theme (like princesses).

    Love the post!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The British don't really take on Halloween either but we still buy sweets and pumpkins just in case haha.

    ReplyDelete