
I can't recall how this idea came about but the idea of a themed month for movie night sounded like fun from the get go. Quite possibly inspired by all that is Canadian everywhere right now, we decided without any thought at all that John Candy was to be the first theme.
Seeing as it's only 3 days til Friday (our movie night) I need your help in deciding which movies we will watch this month. Uncle Buck is on the list and not coming off as it's a favourite of both Kevin and I. We need to choose 3 more movies by Friday.
So give me your top 3 John Candy movies from this list. If you have any snack ideas please share them too.
I think I'll have to do a little research and come up with some trivia to go with our movie.
In my order of preference I would suggest:
ReplyDelete1. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
2. Who's Harry Crumb?
3. Spaceballs
As for snacks I'm a fan of nachos and or popcorn... or how about some nacho popcorn lol:
•1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
•1 tbsp. (15 mL) Mexican chilli powder
•1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
• 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) garlic powder
•1/4 tsp. (1 mL) cayenne pepper (optional)
•8 cups (8 litres) plain popped popcorn
1. In a small bowl, stir together the Parmesan cheese, chilli powder, salt, garlic powder and cayenne (if using). Set aside.
2. Prepare the popcorn either in a pot on the stove top or in a hot air popper. As soon as the popcorn is done, dump it into a large bowl and sprinkle on the seasoning mixture, tossing to coat everything evenly.
Serve immediately. Makes 8 cups (2 liters).
Note: This should be made with popcorn prepared either in a pan on the stove top or in a hot air popper. Don't add any additional flavoring or butter.
***OR if you're like me and (always) feel like some chocolate.... Chocolate popcorn clusters:
• 12 cups (12 litres) plain popped popcorn
• 3 cups (750 mL) peanuts -- salted or unsalted
• 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 cup (250 mL) corn syrup
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F (150° C). Grease a large roasting pan. Line a large cookie sheet (or two smaller ones) with waxed paper.
2. Measure the popcorn and peanuts into the roasting pan. In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, corn syrup and butter. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture is smooth and just beginning to boil. Remove from heat and pour over the popcorn mixture, tossing to coat everything as evenly as possible.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and dump popcorn mixture onto the waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Let cool completely, then break into clumps to serve. Store leftovers (as if!) in an airtight container.
Makes about 12 cups (3 liters).
Note: This should be made with popcorn prepared either in a pan on the stove top or in a hot air popper. Don't add any additional flavoring or butter.
**ENJOY MOVIE NIGHT**
Thank you Darlene (or should I say Jeremy?). I was talking to Kevin last night about what movies he would like to see and he said he needed to look through a list of all John Candy's movies to decide. I told him to come on my blog and have a look, so we'll see if he does that.
ReplyDeleteThe snacks sound great. We don't do popcorn much at all so we might have to give it a go. I always love to see the little differences in recipes from Canada and America VS Australia. I'm pretty sure we can't get "mexican chilli powder" but I'm sure regular "chilli powder" is similar.
I'm also considering making one of my "at home Starbucks frappucinos". I'll omit the cream and it shouldn't be too unhealthy for us. Ice, milk, a little chocolate. Can't be much worse than a glass of lemonade and 1/2 a bag of smarties!
It was me... D
ReplyDeleteAnother idea is Pita snacks... they are quite yummy and healthy.
All you need is a large whole wheat pita. Cut the edge of the pita into chip-size pieces. and then cook them in the oven until crispy before serving with your favorite hummus or dip (YUMMY) - I think I'll be getting this treat for our long weekend (Jeremy has Monday off). **Your Frappucino sounds great!! Hope it's a great movie night!
D
My Dad loves Harry Crumb! So would have to recommend that.
ReplyDelete