Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Inspiration





It's been a while since I posted a card, so here is one for you today. I made it for my Pop's birthday last month.

Both my Nan and Pop have been fairly inspirational in my rediscovery of craft. For as long as I can remember I have loved all things stationery. From the Crayola's at my first year of school, to the smelly pens in grade 3, milky pens in grade 10 and the Derwents I finally got in uni.

For a long time I poured my creativity into making films (I studied this at school and then uni). Once I came to realise that stage of my life was over (freelance work is not my cup of tea) I found myself fairly unhappy. It took me a while to realise that I was missing that creative outlet that film work gave me.

I bought a few stamps (mainly because they were about 75% off) and began to make cards. I sent them to family, mostly at Christmas. My Nan "commissioned" me to make her some Christmas cards to send out to her friends and I used the money to add to my collection. Kevin supported me by buying a Fiskars shape cutter and every template and accessory known to man for me at Christmas and I was hooked!

My craft journey continued when we headed to Victoria for my Pop's 80th birthday. It was a huge family affair, my Pop hadn't seen my older brother for about 18 years, he had never met Kevin and never met his great grandson, Drew. Naturally we took lots of photos (not a single one was digital), in fact Kevin became the official family photographer; a love he picked up from his father.

Not having a lot of money I decided my gift to Pop would be a scrapbook of his 80th birthday experience. Admittedly it took me WAY too long to finally get it to him, but seeing him and Nan in sheer delight every time they turned a page was truly magical.

Even though they are my Grandparents and most likely completely biased it's really nice to have someone that loves and appreciates what you do.

What is your outlet and how did you discover it?


[Supplies]:
PAPER: Cloud 9 Design - Simple Stripes Cocoa Mint
CARDSTOCK: From my stash
STAMPS: Fiskars - Put On Your Party Hat clear stamps
COLOURING: Derwent - Studio pencils

2 comments:

  1. My outlet is most probably blogging but In love putting together photo albums. I find it very healing =)

    Check out Xyron gadgets and supplies. They are really good for craft =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little card and I love the title of your header how cute and totally witty!

    ReplyDelete