Sunday, 19 July 2009

For You



Dear Pa

I'm taking comfort in knowing you are now at peace.

As is my nature I feel I need to record a few things before this day is through.

In life there are many things that go unsaid, and although there is a lot I didn't say, I hope you know that you are treasured. You always treated me as a grand-daughter and at the age of 28, I still like that. By the same token I've always seen you as my Pa, not all the other things you have been; husband, father, great grandfather, business owner, butcher, RAG fence builder, hard worker.

I have some great memories and although my age at the time may have tainted them slightly, as we recently evidenced recounting the story of the cloud pyjamas, that's really what makes them special and fun because without that we wouldn't be grandfather and grand-daughter.

In the crazy time that my parents wouldn't let me walk down the end of our street by myself, I was 18, you agreed with them because you cared.

I take pride in knowing that MY Grandfather was excited when we had greasy take away (namely KFC), because you were the one that loved the hot and spicy. I made a pot roast the other day, the secret ingredient was none other than worcestershire sauce, and as I made it I knew it was for you.

I admire your determination and success at buying a home in a suburb you had set your sights on, knowing that although your Mum couldn't see for herself, she would be proud.

I giggle at the ingenuity around your home, stockings as the sun visor holder in the car, gauze in the bathroom sink. And then I giggle more remembering how you told us with gusto, only too recently, exactly how many panes of glass in each stained window in your home, recounting them by section.

If I ever see a bent letterbox or a pack of steamrollers I will ALWAYS think of you. And for almost two years I've been shaking the ant's dirt out of my mail because having ant's in your letterbox is totally the way it's done!!

You are already missed.

Your Grand-daughter.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Brooke...it is sad to hear that your grandfather is now at peace. Not that you were not expecting that to happen soon, it is just never an easy thing to lose a close relative. All I can do is send my condolences to you and your family at this time in your sorrow. I am sure that you will keep all the memories alive for Brian in the years to come.I hope that Kevin can comfort you enough in the days and weeks to come. Take care and I will be thinking of you guys.
    Aurelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. as always brilliantly written Chook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chook well said i was thinking the same thing on the way home from work about the steamrollers he will be mnissed but lives on in our hearts and memories
    shane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, My deepest sympathy goes unsaid of your loss. I have a few good memories of your pa and I know he will be deeply missed. I was shocked when it came up on your site. I'm so happy he got to hold Brian. I hope your nan is OK. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a lump in my throat when reading this. What a lucky grandfather to have a granddaughter like you Brooke! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'm happy that Brian and I made it to Pa's funeral and that we had a couple of days to support all the family.

    ReplyDelete