This lovely lady, my Mum comes home today. She has been in Melbourne helping out her parents and I'm sure having to do a little "parenting" of her own. I know that Mum will be really happy with what she has achieved in making her parents lives a little easier. They are still at home but finally opening up and accepting a little help. I also know that Mum is looking forward to coming home, little does she know that tomorrow she has to do the grocery shopping as my Dad today did their usual breakfast at the shops, but didn't follow with the groceries!!
Here's Mum at Christmas opening up one of Robert Sabuda's awesome books. His stuff is a must have especially if you have an appreciation for paper arts.
The way I found out about Robert Sabuda was really quite a story in itself. Kevin and I were flying from LA to New York and there was a little documentary on the inflight entertainment that caught my attention. This guy made pop ups. I really loved
how he only worked with white paper, initially and that the focus was really on the pop ups and how they fold back up into the book. Also the entire process of making the books was fascinating.
Later that day/night we were in New York and needed a bit of a rest. We went into this large shopping area and the only place we could find a seat was in a bookstore. So Kevin took a seat and I decided I would look for the pop up books I had seen. After actually opening up my eyes to the wider picture of the bookstore, instead of trying to focus on only the books, I realised that tonight there was an appearance by an author. You guessed it, the author was Robert Sabuda. So we got a book, strictly limited it to one as we had a lot more travel to go and a lot more stuff to buy. We went off to have dinner nearby had and then went back to the bookstore and were sure to get front row seats. The talk was just as interesting as the documentary. Loved it. And of course we got the book signed at the end too!
As you can see by the pictures of the ice skating lady the book involves movement too.
No comments:
Post a Comment