Saturday, 26 January 2008

Been Trying To Post All Week

I have been trying to post all week, but Blogger wouldn't let me in. At least all is well now. So my week has gone like this:

Neighbourhood

Earlier this week on my way to the train about 6 people said good morning to me. It was one of those bright sunny and kind of cool days and even on a good day this made it so much better. I've felt for a long time that the practice of greeting someone as you walked past was ancient history. I'm happy it's back as it certainly makes for a much happier neighbourhood.

Hospital

We found out yesterday that we didn't win the "lotto" for having the baby at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. It wasn't too much of a surprise as we always approached it that if we got in it would be a bonus. The birthing centre at the RBH is really quite popular so they have had to resort to a literal "pull your name out of a hat" system. At least now we know the baby will be born at the Mater Hospital. It has been a little up in air, not knowing where this baby would be born.

On a positive note the Mater is undergoing a renovation so the birthing suites will be brand new by July. Also as we actually fall into their catchment area they can visit us at home after the birth. Which is of course good to know as all public hospitals seem to push for early release, with 4 hours!!!!! being the earliest. We tossed around the public vs private option not long after finding out we were having a baby. It turned out being something that we just couldn't afford, it would be in the tens of thousands and we think that we can use it in much better ways to help all three of us out.

Furniture

We spent all last weekend searching for bedroom furniture. It was a nightmare, mainly because all furniture stores around here seem to carry the same cheap, crappy imports that are only supposed to last a couple of years. It's really depressing to have this confirmed to you. We had been really looking forward to finally fully furnishing our house and this really just kicked home why we still have everything in boxes and furniture is a rare sight in our place.

With a lot more research during the week, thanks to Kevin and his need to always be online (actually he is really great and thorough with research), we found that not all hope may be lost. So on Thursday night (late night shopping) we headed north to check out the only place in South East Queensland that carried the bedroom suite Kevin found online. And here it is:



It's just what we were after, solid wood, timelessly classic, Australian Made and made to last for over 30 years. We figure that a bedroom suite is something you usually buy once, so of course it had to meet our specifications. It's so great that it actually meets everyone of our requirements. We are in desperate need of storage space and this suite has heaps of it.

The only problem is that it's around $11 000. Yes, I didn't accidently add another zero or anything like that. It seems that quality costs a lot of money. And it's not like we went to one of those "can't even afford a cushion" type shops, this was just a regular bedding retailer known throughout Australia. So next came the big decision, do we eat for the next 3 years or do we buy this furniture? It was kind of a no brainer once the actual cost had set in. Our plan now is to save up and buy it in the sales this time next year. Owh yeah, did I mention that this was the sale price?

Another suite we found at a different store in the same complex was this one:



It is also Australian made, good quality and meets our requirements. We found that this was maybe a little less quality and the dresser, although a larger one is available has less practical storage space as there is a big door in the middle. I figure open space like that is what the closet is for. Also the dresser isn't quite as big as the other one and wall we want to put it on really calls for a long dresser. Actually the Jarrah suite that we want contains a dresser that is so large they won't deliver it upstairs for health and safety reasons. Luckily we only like low-set houses. So bring on the Christmas/New Year sales of 2008/2009.

Before I forget, I told Kevin the only was we can afford this is to get corporate sponsorship. So call this my official announcement, corporate sponsors I'm waiting by the phone!! Hehe.

Christmas Photos

They have FINALLY been downloaded. Better late than never I guess. So next post I might have to add a Christmas photo. I haven't even looked through them yet.

Due to the length of this post and that I'm sitting on a really uncomfy chair I won't be spell checking this post. So if you're bored feel free to do it for me. = )

1 comment:

  1. This is my second attempt at leaving something here tonight. I am having major difficulties with google/blogger which is preventing me from blogging. It's really driving me nuts as I have so many posts, and no way of posting them. Anyone else having issues?

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete