Wednesday, 21 February 2007

Special Day and Burger Update



Today is my Mum's special day. It's started me thinking about growing up. One of the things I enjoy about getting older is that you start to learn about the people your loved ones are. You learn who they are, what drives them and what they are really like. Not that you didn't know them before, it's kind of like looking at them from a new perspective. This first happened to me with my Grandfather whom I call Pa. I hadn't seen him in a while. One day over lunch he started talking to me like I was an adult. All of a sudden it felt like I wasn't his Granddaughter anymore. I guess I was kind of in shock. I wasn't ready to look at him from this adult perspective yet. And here he was talking to me like he talks to my Mum, as an adult. I wonder when he started talking to my Mum like an adult. Do you remember Mum?

Getting this new perspective has been a much more enjoyable experience when it comes to my parents. I'm currently in the process of this "new perspective" gaining from my Mum. It's like a whole new lesson. Kind of a cool one too. All of these weird things I do, I'm learning that I get them from my Mum - (don't worry Mum, this is a good thing). My love of nature and the outdoors - from my Mum. Hey, I wonder if that's why my Mum liked the name Brooke. The fact that I always feel like I was a hippie in another life - my Mum was : ) I have a brown thumb when it comes to gardening, I hate cleaning, sometimes I just have to buy these weird things because I think they are cool even if they don't actually have any use, my quieter nature (quieter - because I'm only like this around people I don't know yet), my love of the colour green (I never understood why my Mum's favourite colour is green. I hated it for the longest time, now I love it.), my young looks - all of these things I get from my Mum. My Mum is very loyal to her work and always gives 110%, so do I.

Mum says that she isn't creative but you know I think that she is. She just doesn't use it in the same way I do. Once I wanted to make this pillowcase for my husband. I can't sew by the way, even if my life depended on it. But Mum came to the rescue. She got an old pillowcase, examined it and measured it. She was able to help me sew one just from looking at it. Mum has also sewn tablecloths, couch covers and seat covers. I think she even made me a quilt cover from old sheets.

My husband is Canadian (and now Australian too). One year my Mum wanted to make my husband feel more at home in the cool of a winter Christmas - even though it was scorching hot outside. She gave him a voucher for Christmas, but first she bought a huge big polystyrene ball and cut it in half and put the voucher inside. It was a snowball, and it didn't even melt!

I'm still enjoying learning the similarities that my Mum and I share. Call me selfish but it's also nice when she is just my Mum and spoils me rotten. A few years ago we were on holiday in Canada. Kevin and I had been there a week or so when my parents arrived. I remember feeling such a difference. My Mum was always carrying things for me, asking me how I was, noticing when something was wrong. I learned a great appreciation for the things that she always does. Thanks Mum! Hope you had a great day.

And the burger update:

The Aussie Burgers were awesome. Kevin took photos but I can't get them on the computer yet - major computer overhaul. I'll post the photos at a later date. But a small indication of how huge they really were - both Kevin and I didn't eat breakfast the next day and we only ate lunch because we thought we should!

No comments:

Post a Comment