Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Mobile Phones

I wrote this post the other day and didn't publish it because a) I thought the photo of my phone was still on my camera (which it wasn't) and b) my lack of knowledge in this whole technical arena means I have no idea what I'm talking about and no idea how silly this sounds.  I've learnt a little more about operating systems and data plans since then but have decided to publish it unedited.  Capturing the innocence of my current mobile phone usage was kind of the point of the post.  I'll update you on my new (patiently waiting for it to be delivered) phone and it's story another time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my phone.  It's dying.

Not surprising really seeing as it cost us about $30 a few years ago and I think it came with some credit on it.    I remember Kevin doing the (really hard!) maths and saying, "so it cost us about $10".

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet who still has a phone like this.  Even my 4 year old has an iphone (be it wooden and all).  The best thing about my phone's current status is that it's allowing me to finally enter the Android world.  I have no idea what it is (the Android world), I know I'm missing out on something but really not quite sure.  I'm an old granny in my 30's.  And I'm kind of excited.  Well, very excited but trying not to let it show through too much.  Part of me wants my phone to stay as something that someone can call me or text me on and something that I can return a call or text on.  Because really, that's the whole point of a phone.  And the other part of me wants to be able to scan my Weet Bix box in the morning and collect points to get stuff for free.  It bothers me to no end that as a person with no piece of technology in the house able to scan a QR code I'm missing out on this stuff.  It's all about the important!

We are simple and cheap, as you can see, so I'll be getting something that my hubby has researched to the nth degree.  He's the best at this stuff.  Value for money, best of the best for the best price while doing all that you need.  I'm not getting an iphone, there is no justification for a stay at home Mum like me to get one.  The most important task my phone currently completes (or used to complete before it started hating me) is staying on while I'm out just in case the school calls to tell me my son needs me.

I'm 100% happy that I'll be using free wi-fi connections with no 'whatever the hell it is you need when you have an Android phone and need to be able to connect to your own internet'.  I told you, granny coming through! For me, as the stay at home Mum, I love that my need for a new phone is not going to eat up our mortgage.  Because I value all the work we are doing to reduce it.  And I love that the phone my hubby sent me to approve via email is the exact same price I was hoping we could go to (without us even discussing price, specs or anything).  Who needs a phone when you have communication like that?!

3 comments:

  1. Finally Brooke,
    I think it is imperative that we mums have access to all the technology available simply because everyone else uses it and it can help simplify our lives. eg; schools now use text & e-mail for communication. Times have changed and we need to be available by a reliable source (a phone that works!) for our kids ALWAYS! And it helps to be able to capture spur of the moment pics or video to share with the absent parent.I hope you got a say in what you wanted also...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi brooke! look forward to hearing what you get! Since I have no mortgage or children, I splurged on the iphone in Decembe. This is my first smartphone and I am glad I finally made the switch. Don't know how I lived without it now! I love being able to check my emails from anywhere in the house and when I'm out. I love being able to check my bank balance on the bus and transfer money between my accounts whenever it is convenient. I love the great photos that it takes and that I can easily share them. You'll love your new phone too! :) Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - "smartphone" why did that term not enter my mind while writing this post?!
    1st comment (K?) - Really looking forward to capturing the pics that I sometimes miss. Even though I have an awesome little camera I don't always have it in my pocket like I do my phone. And I didn't care much for a say but it seems my words may have helped the decision.

    ReplyDelete