For today's topic I had to go straight to the best bargain hunter I know, my Sister In Law, Kerri. I had a phone conversation some months back with Kerri about some bargains she had found. Her son was sick and needed some medication (that kind the supermarket carry) but instead of being tempted by all that extra stuff at the supermarket Kerri decided to go to the chemist - straight in straight out, right?! Nope! Turns out they were clearing a whole bunch of gifty stuff out so Kerri stocked up. And on the way back to the car she found a scrapbook shop with 50% off. I love her! While I believe she has a bit of a sixth sense for finding these things I did have to ask what other techniques she employs. Here is Kerri with her first ever blog post:
1. Don't limit your bargain seeking to 'mark down trolley'. Reduced items are throughout most stores, not limited to one area.
2. Know which stores use specific coloured price stickers for reduced price items ( K-mart-Yellow, Target-Red etc).
3. Research big ticket/major purchases on-line before you leave the house. Compare similar items, read reviews and compare prices.
4. Don't ever be afraid to ask for a discount, even on already reduced items. Smile, be friendly and have fun with it.
5. At the end of each season (generally Summer & Winter) I buy my kids clothes for the following year.
And a bonus tip: I have a plastic tub ( I got marked down at woolies because one wheel was broken so I took all wheels off!) I have labelled Party Favours/Goods. Any time I find anything boy/girl related marked down I put it in tub so when it's my children's birthday's I ALWAYS have toys/gimmicks for party bags and/or party prizes.


Thanks for the advice. I love bargains! Nothing makes my heart flutter like a 90% off tag!!!
ReplyDeleteI can dream can't I....
Thanks for these ideas, shopping for bargains is what I try to do. The idea for a bin for party supplies is a great one. When my kids were younger I would buy their next years clothes in the end of season sales. As they got older though they started growing at different times and it never worked out with what I bought so we had to quit. The other thing I still do though is buy their winter coats big enough to last thru 3 winters. To also save money we hand clothes down to the cousins and to my little cousins I babysit for now.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this helpful post again Brooke. Your S-I-L is awesome to help out!!
Saw your comment on my blog and think you should use your paints. You could just get a small journal or even just paint on white computer paper if it's watercolor paint. I can't tell you how happy it makes me every time I do something ARTSY during my days. It consumes me when I'm on a roll and nothing gets done, lol
Let me know more about the paint and what you had in mind.
Enjoy your week. How's your little one doing in school?
I do love a good bargain:) Thank you to your SIL for the great tips. What a lovely lady to stop by and buy things for you at the scrapbooking store:) x
ReplyDelete