Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Setting Up A Toddler's Room

Clearly there are many things to consider when setting up a toddler's room, or any room for that matter.  I will always remember one thing I saw on Oprah years ago and that was to have little sections for all the things that you do in the room.

What's It's Purpose?

For us, actually for me, Brian's room is where he sleeps.  For Kevin, Brian's room is "his own space".  I like how Kevin is thinking into the future.  As we are about to welcome a second baby into the house and our first little guy is growing up, his room will become a place for him to escape and have some time for himself.  We took this into consideration when arranging the furniture.  Our aim here was optimum floor space for little boy play.

As I mentioned in Brian's Big Boy Room Tour post we wanted to buy this furniture once, so we considered what Brian might need into the future.  We decided on a King Single bed, a tallboy, a basic desk and a bedside table. The bookcase we also wanted wouldn't fit!

Current purpose - Sleep

Right now Brian plays in the living area so his room isn't about toys, it's about sleep and getting dressed.  So his room reflects this.  He is surrounded by toys he loves to sleep with, all of which are highly sentimental as they have been given by loved ones.

One thing to remember is that you set your room up to what works for you now.  It doesn't by any case mean that you have to keep it this way forever.  Finding what works can and really should be an evolving process.  I learned that one from Ali Edwards and her craft room/office space.


Keep It Organised

Really, I guess the best tip when it comes to creating a new space is that everything should have it's place.  Brian's room might be the only place in the house were everything has a place, and in the last week and half everything has stayed in it's place.  Miracle!

Arrow shows "morning routine/after bath" container - spray bottle, lotion, comb, powder

Super Organiser Mum (aka Jade) has taught me that grouping like items in little containers keeps everything together.  This is why we have the "morning routine" container on top of Brian's tallboy.  All his drawers are organised into sections and as his clothes are little I've used some Skubb boxes from Ikea (need many more!) to keep them together.  My only tip here is use a plastic container to organise items that have the potential to spill or leak.  One of my Skubb boxes needs a good clean after a spillage accident.

I also have one of these boxes sitting on Brian's desk.  This is where his PJ's go during the day and clothes that can be worn again before being washed wait for round two.  It's working perfectly.


What Bedding Do I Get?

I also wanted to talk about bedding, mostly so I can come back to this in a year or so when I wonder exactly what quilt (doona) we bought.  But also because I had a hard time choosing what to get and I hope this helps you.    

Kevin and I have figured that we like to spoil Brian and ourselves through buying quality (in some instances, we do have a budget like everyone else!) and we've really done this with Brian's room.  We both love the quality of Sheridan towels and bedding so I snuck out on Mother's Day, when Kevin was feeling guilty that he was studying at uni instead of pampering me, and I bought up big at a David Jones sale.  Shopping on Mother's Day is purely guilt free - it was my present really.

Here's what I got:

We both choked at the price and promptly decided this will be the main set on Brian's bed and we will have a cheap alternative sheet set plus light blanket for when his regular bedding is being washed (and/or from toilet accidents).

Arrows show over hang of a Double sized quilt on a King Single bed

Of note, when you buy a King Single bed (KSB) understand that bedding is harder to find.  You need a King Single sheet set, but a Double quilt and cover.  At first we were worried about the size difference with the quilt but I can tell you that it works perfectly.  Enough over hang on each side of the bed, without being too much.  Allowing room for a pillow allows a larger than expected over hang at the foot of the bed too.  Double Bed quilt covers are easier to find than King Single sheet sets!  But they are out there.  Big W has a King Single sheet set for $32.76, it's 100% cotton and 200 thread count and I'm  considering it as Brian's alternative set.

With toilet training toddlers make sure everything is machine washable, including your quilt/doona.  And your mattress protector should be waterproof.  Check the backing though as we have found that the really plasticy ones take longer to dry.  

We went with a light doona, bearing in mind that Brian is little and needs to move it himself.  The sales lady really got me on this one as she has it for herself and finds it warm enough in Brisbane winters, despite it being a summer quilt.  We are in May right now and have had it on Brian's bed since he moved into his new room, but he's been getting hot like me, so I'm interested to see how he goes as it gets colder.  Right now he only needs a sheet and a light blanket, but we don't have one of those yet!

The pillow in the pictures was just for show.  I've since put it away as we aren't introducing a pillow until Brian is quite a bit older. Kevin did a quick Google search on pillows for kids and turned up that around 3 to 4 years was a good age to introduce one.  Of course all the info I can find now says not before age 2.  Really the point of a pillow is to support your head and neck so when Brian's shoulders are wide enough we will get him one.  Yes, we are big on doing the whole growth/postural support thing properly.  We are totally aware that we are looking after Brian's growing body and bones.   


Make It Special
The Big Boy Room/Brian Introduction, complete with Daddy fun and tickles

The most important step in setting up a toddler's room is to make it special for them.  It's their space so make sure you keep that in mind.  I have a "transiting your child into a new room" post coming up soon.  We really found the process we took worked wonderfully, so much so that there is a lot of excitement surrounding room changes for Brian - even the thought of the baby's room has him excited.  Let's hope it stays that way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment