Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Early Christmas Shopping & Finding Bargains

Last week Brian and I spent every spare second at a shopping centre. Hopefully this doesn't count as child torture but we were on a mission to cross a few things off the Christmas/Birthday gift shopping list and the sales were too good to miss.

Our insane week started with a phone call from a friend on Tuesday about reduced Thomas (the Tank Engine) stock at Myer. We changed our grocery shopping plans to the local Westfield and paired it with a trip to Myer. The score:
Early Engineers Gordon (18 months plus) - $9.78, was $19.95

Brian has the Thomas from this range and I loved that it was safe for him from 18 months onwards. Thomas lives in my hand/baby bag and is our greatest friend! This will likely be a birthday present for one of Brian's friends.

Day two saw us heading further afield to a pick up one of these from Big W:
Thomas And Friends Ultimate Box - $10, was $16.68

I didn't care how much we were saving with this one, only that it was $10 and filled with Thomas bits and pieces for Brian's upcoming 3rd birthday party. It will be Thomas themed, so I'm collecting all kinds of Thomas bits for inside goodie bags and prizes for games like pass the parcel.

Our second deal of the day was:
Thomas and Friends Mega Bloks Thomas - $5, was $9.84

This will likely be the major prize inside pass the parcel at Brian's party.

Our next INSANE deal was this major find:
Thomas and Percy Take Along Starter Set - $6.87, was $20+

I nearly died when I scanned this little baby and at first had to readjust my eyes to make sure there wasn't a 1 in front of the 6! At the time I had no idea what this set would have been worth, I estimated about $35. It's on Amazon for $38.99, but did find it online at Central Station Toys for $19.95. Still it's a bargain! I got two, one for Brian (not sure when we will give it to him) and the other as a gift for one of Brian's friends.

We also scored a couple of clothing items from Kmart for Brian's cousins, can't say too much more as their Mom reads this.

Day 3 we headed to another shopping centre. This time I wanted to check out Borders as I love their stationery and home wares. Borders and Angus and Robertson are currently under voluntary administration and while I had read that my nearest Borders store would be safe I wanted to go anyway. We didn't spend a thing at Borders that day, but after our visit to Toys R Us (Brian heaven) I spotted a 50% off everything sign outside Angus and Robertson. I walked inside and was about to call Kevin to see if he needed any books and then I spotted this:

The Complete Peter Rabbit Library - $40, was $79.99, RRP $109.99

Kevin's sister had this series as a child, so he's always been interested in these classics. I knew he would go for it and he did! I think in another, richer life Kevin and I were book collectors! This one we are keeping for Brian. Maybe an Easter present? Although I like to keep Easter presents to two small gifts.

I also picked up another book which I had my eye on around Christmas time. I totally forgot that I had planned it as a gift for my nieces and it's going to be awesome!

So that was my insane week of spending. The best part is that I've knocked a good chunk off my Christmas and Birthday shopping, and the savings have kept me on Kevin's good side.

On Friday I'll share my tips for bargain shopping with you.

1 comment:

  1. I 100% do this as well. It saves me money and you always buy better gifts don't you?

    ReplyDelete