Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Cooking Up A Storm

A few weeks back my to do list was long and exhausting, all for good reasons. A couple of friends had recently had their second child and to me the best gift to give a new Mum is a home cooked meal. My Aunt did this for me when Brian was born. It was totally unexpected but oh so appreciated. Here's what my Aunt bought to my doorstep that one fine day (I forgot how much stuff there was):
Lasagna, sandwiches, fruit salad, egg and bacon pie,
salad (just like my Nan does it) and Lucozade (for strength).

I'd been planning my cooking storm for months - the beauty of pregnant friends is you get a long time to plan these things, unlike another friend who had to quickly rally up the perfect gift for her friend who got word she would finally have a much wished for adopted child in her arms in two short weeks!! Can you imagine, no children straight to a 6 month old in two weeks. Oh the things you would need!! Still makes me cry happy tears when I think about it.

Back on track. I didn't exactly use my planning time to test meals, rather to take note of ones we ate that would best suit my friends. One is vegetarian and when we had the most divine curry (the kind that your meat loving hubby could [and did] eat for days without even missing the meat) you know you are on to a good thing. Said friend even texted me the night they had it for dinner saying her (toddler) daughter who had not been eating much lately ate it all up too. It was nice to know it was appreciated. Here's the meal all ready to go:
Along with some rice I cooked earlier that day I also included a microwave packet of rice. I'm super careful in the hygiene stakes when preparing for others and rice isn't the safest thing as left overs, this was my best alternative. I also provided a typed up copy of the recipe. This allows the receiver to double check for any ingredients that the family might have allergies too and if they really like it they can make it again.

And a close up of the super quick card I made to go with it:
For my other friend I thought something a little lighter - chicken and ricotta cannelloni with a green salad. Keeping it toddler friendly was also a good idea. I did however make the mistake of a) not trialling the recipe since I made it probably back in June 2003 when it first appeared in my favourite cooking magazine, and b) not tasting it before sending it on it's merry way. Thankfully all turned out ok. This is why I love Super Food Ideas magazine, guaranteed winners every time!

Here is the cannelloni already to go:
And a close up of the card (my colouring skills need much work):
...........................................................................................

TIPS WHEN COOKING FOR OTHER'S
  • Practice perfect hygiene.
  • Use fresh and in-date ingredients.
  • Check allergies and dietary requirements beforehand.
  • Provide a copy of the recipe so your friend can check what they are eating without offending you.
  • Decide whether you will deliver your food in your own containers, it looks more homely but remember you will be without your dishes until you see your friend again. Or would you prefer to save on the washing up and deliver everything in throw away containers?
  • Transport your foods in an esky and limit travel time (ie. don't stop off on the way to your friend's place).
  • Pre-arrange a delivery day and time.
What's your favourite gift to give to a new parent?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Brooke! My sister had a baby 5 November and I still haven't taken her over any food yet! I've been meaning too though, and it is the thought that counts right? Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so thoughtful!!! and such a nice friend!!
    I definitely could of used loads of food for when I had Peyton - often times I forgot to eat, or didn't have the energy to eat anything but crackers or a PB Sandwich.
    I love to get things a parent would use - most recently I made a diaper cake! It was so much fun, and inside there were clothes. Practical, and I put a lot of love in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - It's not too late. I waited almost a month for my friends as they had freezer stashes and other gifts to rely on. Congrats Aunty Kate.

    Darlene - Yes, I think having the energy to make something is a big issue when sleep deprived! I saw the diaper cake on your blog, it looked awesome and is a wonderful idea. Such a great idea to put clothes into it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and thoughtful friend you are I bet they were so grateful to be given such a wonderful gift. I do love that card, so very sweet.xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO talented with your card making. I would seriously buy your cards to give to my friends/family. They are so cute!

    Kudos to you and your aunty for making batches of food. Bet they prove to be so handy :)

    ReplyDelete