Monday, 11 October 2010

Brooke Sews (Part Four) ... Doll's Blanket With Pillow

My next sewing project was a doll's blanket/bed with attached pillow and some (purchased) clothing. Although, I must say that by this stage my remaining projects were all happening simultaneously as I was fast running out of time (I like to work under pressure and apparently creating my own pressure fits that bill too)!

This gift was for Scarlett (2 yrs old). Scarlett has had her little friend "Roger" for as long as I can remember and I thought some new (alternate) clothing for him as well as a place for him to be tucked in at night would be the perfect idea.

But first, meet Roger:


Roger is an Ikea purchase and much loved by Scarlett's Mum as he was cheap, machine washable and still available when she needed to purchase a #2 Roger just in case #1 was lost. Here's the Ikea specs on Fabler Groda (Roger's official name).

Next up in this design process was a series of "constraints":
  1. I didn't have Roger in front of me to measure.
  2. Ikea is a significant drive away.
  3. I considered calling Ikea and having them give me Roger's dress measurements, but I'm pretty sure they would have though it was a prank call!
  4. I still can't sew and the thought of whipping up a tiny doll's t-shirt was insanely daunting.
Enter a vague memory that Pumpkin Patch (a local premium kid's clothing store chain) sold clothes for dolls teddy bears. Can you just imagine my face when I found the PERFECT t-shirt there for about $4 (on clearance)? Scarlett's Dad works in the music industry and both of her parents love records. Clothing - sorted. Actually, I only considered it "sorted" after trying for what seemed like ever to get a (dark and light) t-shirt transfer to work. Nothing worked so I had to call it done as it was.

Bedding, next. I wanted something more than just a little blanket. My idea here was that Scarlett would be able to put Roger into bed, pull the cover over him and tuck him in. A little trial and error later and I had my design. It also involved a bizarre text to Scarlett's Mum asking Roger's width.

Here's the finished project:


The green felt that contains the pillow extends the full length of the "bed". The brown felt is then folded over at the bottom and sewn along the bottom edge, only as far as the green felt goes. This allows lots of overhang to tuck Roger in at night.

A simple gift card and regular wrapping later and I was done.

2 comments:

  1. LOve it!! And I so would have called Ikea hehe.... it would be a laugh for sure. Amazing work Brooke!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful and thoughtful gift to make Brooke. I bet that Scarlette loved getting something special for her favourite toy. Your getting very crafty with your sewing machine!:)

    ReplyDelete