Monday, 24 November 2008

Obento Obsession



I love Japan and all things Japanese and have done for some time now. It probably all started in about 1988 when I began learning Japanese. My Mum sent my little brother and I to classes. Shane was so little that he couldn't read yet, but it didn't matter. I remember having to run around the classroom and the teacher would yell "fast", "slow", etc. in Japanese. And I remember the grated cheese sandwiches, they were to die for. If you know me at all I remember food from everywhere!

In 1997 I was lucky enough to go to Japan on a school trip. I always wanted to go back as I told my parents I hadn't finished shopping yet. Kevin and I went back in 2004 but were so busy we only had 1.5 hours shopping time. Just long enough to get a bento box, bag and chopsticks each. Needless to say, I'm still not done.

Lately I've been addicted to looking at Obento blogs and the sushi cravings are hitting me all the time. Here's the Obento Wiki link (click here) They say it's the pride of the homemaker to make special lunches and I'm fascinated at the lengths some people go to.....and to think I send Kevin to work with a tin of ravioli some days.

On my Christmas wish list this year is some alphabet cookie cutters, a set of nesting circle cookie cutters and some cookie cutters shaped with boy stuff, like animals, dinosaurs, etc. They are to make cookies and I do intend on that, but secretly they are also to make awesome Obento boxes.

A few weeks ago, at the height of a sushi craving (I get cravings all the time, nothing to hide here) I made these: (note the little Sakura nori - I made those too!)


They are also on our menu for Wednesday night....yum.

Here are some other pics of Obento boxes. All of them totally awesome, and none of them mine:



Note: A rice mould has been used to shape the Panda. Source: Wikipedia.



Note: Penguin is stuffed with salmon, mayo, wasabi. Source: www.cookingcute.com

No comments:

Post a Comment