Friday, 25 April 2008

Surprise!

The best husband in the world *insert best picture of Kevin ever* (which I can't access as most pictures have been deleted off this computer) surprised me with this:


a couple of weeks ago. Finally, my very own camera.

Kevin did all the research on this one. I had decided that the Olympus 790 really wasn't for me. Apart from being orange, shockproof and waterproof, all other features were pretty poor. I had started doing a little research into other cameras but hadn't made much head way as I'm really not technical AT ALL and there was so much to learn. (Further proof to my not being technical, I just hit delete and my post disappeared, luckily blogger automatically saves it...phew!)

Getting a camera before the baby came was really proving to be a dream so I wasn't that determined to get my heart set on something else. Then, one day a couple of weeks ago Kevin said he had a surprise. The conversation went like this:

K: I have a surprise for you.
B: (sounding really excited) You passed your assignment?
K: No, that's not it.
B: You're pregnant?
K: (funny look that definitely said NO)
B: I don't know what it is
K: I'm not sure if I should tell you
B: Sure you should
K: Ok. I ordered you a camera
B: (eyes light up) Woo Hoo!

Kevin is really into researching the RIGHT product before he buys it. I'm so lucky and happy that he does this. He went to Choice magazine's website and read reviews and checked out all the specs. It's a great little camera. It's really quick to start up and take photos. I've only used it automatically so far, but have done a little reading of the manual (during my 2 hour glucose tolerance test) and it has some great features. I think the hardest thing for Kevin was that he really loves digital SLR cameras and there is no way a little point and shoot can compare. He's happy that this one is the best for me and so am I!

My next mission is to buy a camera case. I want a really good one as this camera lives in my bag. And as you know bags get dropped and bashed around a bit. And I'm one of those people that takes the kitchen sink when I go out so there is always a water bottle in my bag and when going to work I put my lunch in there which is often frozen, so protection from water is also important to me. Essentially I'm looking for a case that has the two things the Olympus 790 has that this and most other cameras dont - shockproof/crushproof and waterproof. I'm pretty sure this is what I want:



Pelican cases offer everything that I want. Kevin thinks I might feel a little silly pulling a case like this out of my bag but I told him that he knows I'm weird, so that makes the case perfectly normal for me, right? Really though, I think he might just be jealous that I'm going to own a Pelican case...hehe.

The other great thing with this camera is we have agreed on the ground rules from word go. (Although mainly I think it's because this is MY camera the other camera is now SOLEY Kevin's). I get to download all my own photos whenever I want...YAY. Really...that's the best part. It's all mine and I can take it anywhere!..and I will.

I want to be able to take photos of lovely dinners we have out, weird things I see during the day and other general things we do that we would never take our bigger, heavier camera to. I was a little disappointed in myself the other day as we had a nice dinner out at Mondo Organics for a friends birthday. I completely forgot to take a photo of the meal. It occurred to me the other day why this happened - when I get my meal I'm hungry and just want to eat it. I can't stop myself for a second to take a photo. Although I did get one photo of a meal we had last week. Stay tuned for my next post on that one!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brooke,

    Congrats on your new camera. These cameras are great and durable. I have had mine for 4 years and it works perfect and takes great shots and is nice and small to carry and shoot.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete