Sunday, 4 February 2007

Manners

I've had one of those weeks which seemed to be themed. You know the ones - where something happens more than once in the same week and it's just freaky.

My theme this week was manners. I was unfortunate enough to encounter this guy that thought he was the only human being on earth. It got me thinking about manners and where our manners are heading.

Last week I was watching Wife Swap and "ta da" - the focus was manners. One family had impecable manners and the other family had the worst manners I think anyone had ever seen. It was interesting to see the opposing views. I'd like to think that my manners are a nice balance between the two families I saw. Not too insane, not insanely polite.

So with my weekly theme in place I decided I would try to live a little more politely this week. I was sure to say thank you often, I was considerate of others and I even smiled more.

Then one day I was waiting in line and what happened? These two girls came up and didn't get in line. They turned the line into more of a group of waiting people than any kind of order. I tried not to let it get to me. I kept up my manners and let the old lady and her grandson go before me.

The best part of my "week of manners" was yet to come. I was in the grocery store buying ingredients for my version of the Starbucks double chocolate chip frappucino (another post there) when this guy walked infront of me - between the whipped cream in a can and me. And then he says "Excuse me". I could have hugged the guy. My week of bad manners just seemed to be healed by that one act of politeness. I once again see the good in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment